1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import/Export costs for trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by ssmusicman, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Not trying to start anything but could I get an honest answer on what the typical inport/export and shipping costs are for these trucks out of Japan?

I have a friend that lives in Hiroshima Japan and he sent me some info on prices of new and used trucks in his area. I'm just trying to see how marked up these vehicles are before they get to the end users here in the US. Let me add that I am NOT against a guy making a buck or two, it's called capitalism and I love it!

Thanks very much for any info, love the site, trying to deterimine if I "like" the trucks or not.

SS

2. hamradio

hamradio Member

I once heard it costs about $1k-$1.2k to ship a minitruck from japan to the US and get it through customs and all.

I've been looking into it, because I would like an '83 or older to register and drive on the road, but I don't see any dealers importing old trucks.

3. glenn

glenn Member

......... talk to a dealer, I'm sure they take orders for special requirement trucks like '83 or older and can get one for you......so i've heard.......
    glenn

4. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Link to Daihatsu in Japan

Info I got from my Japanese friend on new Daihatsu's. I have to take his word for it.
    ---------------------
    http://www.daihatsu.co.jp/wn/990106-4.htm

According to this information, the new Daihatsu Hi-zet truck is 900,000 yen which is about US$9,000.

Engine:
    EFI engine DLI (Distrivuter-less ignition) , Direct drive valve, KCS(Knock control system)
    Twincam DVVT (Dynamic Variable Valve Timing), 3 cylinders ,12 valves
    Power: 48ps/5,900 rpm Torque 6.4kg-m/4000rpm
    Wheel drive 4WD
    ----------------------

Hope this does not violate any site rules...
    SS

5. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

it really depends on who you buy from and how many buy on the price for a lot of the trucks. Right now with the way gas pricing is it cost about $2,000-$3,000.00 per truck after customs and everything.

6. hamradio

hamradio Member

the other issue for me is $$$- all I want is some totally beat old rusty truck. I just love the look of the kei trucks and the small size. For probably the same price after importation costs, I could get a newer truck. (I think colin paid $3.5-4k for his) I wish they were more popular in the US in the past, so I could get my hands on basically a shell. My budget for a truck would be about $1k, kinda unrealistic for a kei, though, haha.

I kind of actually want an isuzu hqr or whatever the small version of an isuzu NPR is, just to drive around in, haha.

sorry to threadjack.

7. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Jut to clarify, is that $2,000-$3,000 including the price of the used truck in Japan, or is that just the "handling" fees?

Thanks, SS

8. hamradio

hamradio Member

I believe that is just handling. If it is, that has gone up quite considerably since fall.

9. glenn

glenn Member

10. willmtr

willmtr New Member

I see too many middle men.

I have been researching the cost, from what I see the cost for a truck 1995 and newer should be nothing more than 1800.00, and a container of 7 no more than 13,000.00 . Go to eBay and you will see containers of 7 for 18,000.00. I think that there is markup in every step. Something to consider is that these trucks will be street legal one day (when gas prices get high enough) and when they are approved for the street people will pay considerably more for them. I can in fact understand the markup since the buying at auction/ importing process is long and risky. How about them apples?

11. If you ever purchased direct from Japan and and imported trucks I think you'd be surprised to see the profit margin per truck. As for the 1800.00 for a 1995, I pay more than that for a 95 BEFORE any shipping, clearing house, or customs charges are added in. I have two containers on the way now, BASE shipping was 5600.00 on one a 6K on the other because it was a high cube. Since the USDA here in the U.S. has a hard on over these little trucks almost every mini container is now flagged for inspection. What's nice about that is they get to tell you how much you'll pay for an inspection. So with that said, I think it would be nearly impossible for anyone on ebay to sell a container to anyone for 18K unless the trucks were junk titles in Japan.

12. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

Most of the containers that I have seen on Ebay are without shipping. The great thing about doing that is once you have bought it on ebay it is yours....meaning you pay for the customs inspection (like metioned above customs has a hard one for these trucks so you will get hit with that), storage fees while they inspect, if your lucky and nothing is wrong (which if your buying trucks that cheap could go either way) then you still have shipping to your door. Your $18,000.00 container just turned into $26,000.00 pretty quick. Then hopefully nothing is wrong in the container (bad engine, clutch, etc...) because that is just more money out of your pocket. I have to agree with Freemontmini the mark up on these trucks is not what most think. There are a lot of extra cost other than just buying a truck.

13. 3000gt

3000gt New Member

I bought my truck about 6 months ago and shipping from Japan was 800.00 dollars per truck, total of roughly 5300.00 (container). Custom fees were approx. 250.00 dollars (container). Just be sure that ALL of your paperwork is in order and they you dont have automatics and you should be cool :)

14. dwink

dwink Member

I have heard customs is flagging and inspecting the loads as well. They can unload your container and search the trucks, and you pay for storage while they conduct their searches. The storage can be as much as several thousand dollars. When you add several thousand dollars to seven trucks it make the load that was supposed to make some money, turn into a recovery mission on your money!

15. willmtr

willmtr New Member

No room for profit?

:frustration:Yeah you are right, anyone that you buy from with the trucks here is not making anything on their investment. Ha Ha , I am sure anyone on here can see why someone would invest several thousand dollars just to make a couple bucks. No I am telling you save it for someone else, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  16. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

Honestly willmtr if you can get a container of good trucks to your house for $13,000.00 like you claim you can then do it. I have been doing this for several years now and still have not come across that deal.

****just a side note we have several parts that you will probally need****

17. No where did he (nor I) say that we were doing this out of charity, what Mike and myself were addressing was the misconception that there is all kinds of money to be made importing these little trucks.1) Do you make money? yes, 2)Are you going to get rich selling mini's? No. They are a nice side business if you already have an established business. The depth of your mini truck knowledge is ebay and google searches and there is a lot more to it than that. Go ahead and import a few containers and then we'll take your input seriously. ;)

18. willmtr

willmtr New Member

I mean no offense

I personally have not imported nor have I been to Japan but I can tell you that most people with business sense like myself don't risk money just to make friends. I am well versed in the field of sales and I respect what you do, I just refuse to take somebody else's word for what my money will buy. I will go to Japan and pick out my trucks if I have to. Yeah I am sure that there is alot to learn but I will enjoy the traveling and the learning process. Thanks:D

19. willmtr

willmtr New Member

Don't worry you won't be hurt.

I am too far away to steal your business.

20. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Before we found our truck (on eBay from an individual) I gave thought and research to buying a container and selling the other six trucks. I had no desire to become a dealer - just save $$$. Most of my knowledge came from google searching with threads from this forum being the result. I searched the auctions in Japan and various shipping options and checked for reliability of the things I was finding. At that unlearned state, I didn't even figure the inspection costs and all the other fees that ultimately show up in everything. Just figuring the price I found from Japan with shipping to US and on to our home, there was not a large mark-up by the dealers within reasonable shopping distance to us. I don't mind the time and effort to save money and am a very conscientious (read that stingy, cheap, frugal, etc) shopper. For us, the potential savings basically didn't exist. Don't claim to be an expert but that was my finding then and since having a truck, learning more, and keeping up with the forum, still feel the same way.

21. glenn

glenn Member

willmtr, you sound like a troll.........

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum

glenn

22. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

23. willmtr

willmtr New Member

When I talk of buying for myself I mean expanding into mini truck sales. I have done the proper research. I have spent more time here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/ and here: http://www.shipping-worldwide.com/ than here: http://minitrucktalk.com. I know what is involved and I can tell you that there is certainly risk involved. I realize that some people just sit around and don't ask questions when they don't understand, I am not that way. I currently buy at dealer auctions here. I already know what it takes to run a business instead of working for someone else, take a risk! If I were going to buy a single truck then I would just shop on here, I need at least 7 if not more. Thanks

24. willmtr

willmtr New Member

25. Subaru

Subaru Member

==OUCH-leave the dog outta this

Ashnkooshe likes this.
  26. willmtr

willmtr New Member

I never accused you of being rich.

I surely will.

27. glenn

glenn Member

gawd......and you claim to be a business man???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

welcome to the big time of selling mini's
    good luck eh?

28. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

Will good luck I hope that all works out for you. I hope that you enjoy your trip to Japan to do your research. Please let us know if you have any more questions....not that you like any anwsers we have offered in the past. You clearly have done your research on the internet(and everyone knows that you can believe everything you read there) and you are a great business man here so I am sure that you will be a great business man in Japan also...we are sooo much alike when it comes to business. Please keep us all updated on your progress. And let me be the first to welcome you to the dealer family.:)

29. willmtr

willmtr New Member

I appreciate the respect.

I appreciate the respect. If you want to be respected by others then you have to respect others. Thanks for not pulling out the derogatory comments.:D

30. pepci

pepci Member

Also Willmtr, you may be intersted in the Mini Hauler as those trucks are probably right up your alley in what you are seeking. Or at least the pics look good but you do research and let us know how business is when you get stuck ok? I myself sell mini's as a hobby and for the fun of having them around ,not always is a person in business to make a killing on others willmtr. But again please let me know what your $13,000.00 container looks like so i can avoid that mistake at least. lol Hope it works out for you in life as well as business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.