1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a sucker...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AngusII, Feb 22, 2018.

1. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello, All.
    Well, I saw this show up at a local salvage yard the other day, and thought it was pretty cool. So, I talked to a guy that just bought/imported a Suzuki 4x4 and after talking with him, I looked at it again. I'm a sucker, I towed it home....
    Tracked down previous owner at a local nursery, he said it hadn't run in several years now and I was hoping to find the owners/workshop manuals with him; NOT... He also didn't have much info either, just a "good luck with it and I'm glad it went too someone and not the crusher".... kinda stuff.
    Well, I like a challenge. I play around with older Honda motorcycles, Wisconsin air cooled engines, air cooled Volkswagens and other small engine stuff... So, this shouldn't be to much of a challenge to get going, almost everything is there.... Only missing fuel filter and air filter cover plate.Well, besides the glass being broken out. Tells me someone was trying to get it going at some point before being pushed aside too the boneyard. I'm hoping they were just not a good mechanic...
    But, unlike all the other things I work on, I can't find the shop and owners manuals online in PDF files. So, I will be asking some of you for that info to pass along. If you have it.
    At first, I'll need the basic tune up specs. to check points, plugs, fuel pump out put and to fill cooling system and fluids before fire up.
    It has had the speed control fuel pump shutdown mech. at trans disconnected and the clip pulled in the transfer case, for I can pull the D/N shifter up all the way vertical into what I would think is high gear.. Yes, I have been lurking on the forum for any info on this thing.
    From what I can tell it is a seventh gen. Daihatsu S80LP-DRK . EB550cc engine 4speed. The vin number is *JDA000S8000308195* The date on the seat belts is 1991.
    I like old stuff, I like to get old stuff going/running again and I have to much old stuff. I should stay out of the salvage yard. But. it's so much fun and cool stuff there..
    Well, there you have it; I'm an older guy with older stuff and need your help in getting this ol' gal going again.
    So, if you happen to have the shop manual or any manuals in PDF file on this thing (S80), please PM me and I'll give you my email info.
    I'm looking forward to hear what you folks have to say about my find. Yes, it is rough, but you don't need much for cruzing around the industrial park, it will give my CT70HKO a break....
    Sorry guys and gals no pictures the files are to large for sever to process; what ever that means.. And I'm good with my hands not computers... I don't have a clue how to shrink a file.. It's only 2.6MB JPEG Images. Any clues???

2. Koyotekiller

Koyotekiller New Member

Try cropping or trimming pictures that will cut size down. Or adjusting camera to take smaller pics. Mayb using a different file type may also help.

AngusII likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

It’s kind of hard to find the translated manuals, for the Japanese Domestic Marjet versions. There is one guy who has been doing English translations, James Danko, through Lulu publishing, www.lulu.com. Several of the parts dealers have them, and You can order them online, for around $70, form the parts guys, or direct from Lulu on their websit.

The 550, and 660, are very similar, so if you’re mechanically experienced, you can overcome most of the differences. Kind of like working on a small block Chevy: There are little differences between the various displacements, but if you can build one, you can build nearly all of them.

Parts for the S80 series are pretty common on eBay, even the carburetor can be found.

Since Piagio, manufactured them, in Italy as the Porter, and they were exported to Britain, and Germany, you can find some parts on eBay.uk. KYB front struts are one example.

Have fun.

AngusII likes this.
  4. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello.
    Thank you guys for the replies.
    I got the engine running yesterday. Today will be to figure out why I don't have aux. power. I have ignition system, oil pressure light and Alt. light on dash, along with the wipers working. So, I have power just not all of it.
    I'm just worried about the cooling fan system not working...
    I was looking at the wiring diagram that Trax and Horns had posted some time back last night(wish it was color coded). I'll be looking at that some more, then jump on in there with a volt meter and test light. I see a lot of people talking about fuseable links, and see one in the diagram.
    The truck has been sitting for some time outside and it does have safari doors, so going though the fuse panel is on the horizon..
    Thanks again for the replies. And any hints on this electrical issue or were to look???
    Heck, I may be driving this thing in a day or two after checking the drivetrain fluids.

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Pictures would be nice to see. Particularly of the Safari doors. I’m thinking of welding up a set for mine, and some detail of how they were made would be helpful. I’m a pretty good fabricator, but it is kind of nice to plagerize factory engineers as a starting point.

6. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello.
    Yes, I need to figure out uploading pictures for this site. I don't know how to resize pictures that are on my computer. I'll try posting some smaller ones, we'll see...
    Well, I went for a little drive yesterday,( a grin ear too ear). It was a blast. Yet, I had some surging going on, so turned around and headed back down the hill too the shop. It's most likely the small fuel filter I have on there(motorcycle type), only ones in the shop to use. And it already has crap in it(looks like snot). It runs great and fast down the hill, speedo pegged to the dash.... So, most likely the lack of fuel under uphill load.
    But, some of the electrical systems are beginning to work, no blinkers, running or brake lights, yet. I'll just have to start cleaning connections and contact points.... But, I was so happy when the fan came on for the cooling system. And even more pleased when the pump/ram system worked for the dump bed. It's the system that has the compressor pump(looks like A/C pump) and tank under the right seat, not an PTO type.
    Well, no luck on picture uploads, a 2.51mb picture wouldn't even go through. File to large for server to process... I'll have to look into that.
    Hey, Jigs if you PM me your email, I can send you some pictures of the doors, they are pretty simple in design.

7. MetalMania

MetalMania New Member

AngusII likes this.
  8. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello, Thanks MetalMania. I saw those on Ebay, it's on my watch list....
    How good is the fuel system chapter?? any detailed cross sections of the carb? What is the top solenoids function?? the small one on top of the throttle body. Whats the book call it?

9. MetalMania

MetalMania New Member

The fuel system chapter is pretty decent, it gives pretty good assembly diagrams of the carb. They call it the Slow Fuel Cut Solenoid, but I really don't understand its function. Carbs are unfortunately my forte, I wish I new more about them.

10. Koyotekiller

Koyotekiller New Member

To Resize a picture or image using "Paint" in Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista (click here for video)
    1. Open Paint:
      • In Windows 10: click the Search icon or box, type Paint, and click on the Paint desktop app.

• In Windows 8: on the Tiles screen, type Paint, and click on the App icon for Paint [​IMG]

• In Windows 7 or Vista: click the Start button [​IMG] > click All Programs > click Accessories > then click Paint.
    2. Click File in Windows 10 or 8 or on the Paint button [​IMG] in Windows 7/Vista > click Open > select the picture or image you want to resize > then click Open.

3. On the Home tab, in the Image group, click Resize.

4. In the Resize and Skew dialog box, select the Maintain aspect ratio check box so that the resized image will have the same aspect ratio as the original picture.

If the Maintain aspect ratio check box is selected, you only need to enter the horizontal value (width) or vertical value (height). The other box in the Resize area is updated automatically.

5. Do one of the following in the Resize area, and then click OK:
      • To resize your picture by a certain percentage, click Percentage, and then enter a percentage to reduce the width by in the Horizontal box, or a percentage to reduce the height by in the Vertical box.

• To resize the picture so it's a specific size, click Pixels, and then enter a new width in the Horizontal box, or new height in the Vertical box.
    6. Click File in Windows 10 or 8 or the Paint button [​IMG] in Windows 7/Vista > point to Save as > then click the picture file type for the resized image.

7. Type a new file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    To Resize a picture or image using "Paint" in Windows XP
    1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

2. On the Paint Menu, click File > Open > change "Look In" to the location of the image to be resized > click Open

3. On the Paint Menu click > Image > Stretch/Skew

4. To maintain the original width-to-height aspect ratio, enter the same percent (such as 50%) for both Horizontal and Vertical under Stretch. Note: Do not enter any Horizontal or Vertical Degree value under Skew.

5. Click Okay to preview the resized image

6. Click File > "Save As" > enter a filename > click Save.

11. AngusII

AngusII New Member

Hello, Thanks.
    Alright, I think I'll need some coffee before I can figure this out. I am running XP so it looks a little easier??.
    Thanks for the info and link, I'll give it a try latter.

12. Koyotekiller

Koyotekiller New Member

hopefully you can just right click on file/image and select edite , like in my windows 10 and 7 it brings up painyt and u can see the "resize" button on top in the menus i types "50" instead of 100 in block and cut down a 10Mb pic to 2.6 Mb so it works well enough good luck BB

13. Lost

Lost New Member

S80lp-jerk 1992 hijet, I am still looking for a gas tank with sending unit. Also are there any junkyards for these mini trucks?