1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition Problems

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by subaru-mimi, Dec 23, 2017.

1. subaru-mimi

subaru-mimi New Member

Hey guys!

Lately I've been noticing my key doesn't automatically switch out of starter mode and I will have to manually turn it a smidge to the left so that the radio/heat will work. This happening from time to time led to me having an embarrassing situation with my coworkers! I washed my car at my job, hopped in the cab, turned the key like normal, and then proceeded to listen to my engine sound like it's shaking a trash can full of rocks. The starter was still on! My friends at work gave me very concernedlook like:
    "Is it supposed to sound like that? Is the starter still on? That's really not good for your car you know"
    I was able to move the car while it was on, and turning the key to the left manually turned off the starter, but I'm concerned something is wrong with my ignition & that the situation will just get worse over time.

If you guys have any suggestions for me I'm all ears! I don't know if replacing the ignition cylinder will work since parts are a little rare. My friend told me not using the original key is not helping this situation, but unfortunately I don't remember where I put my original key and I've just been using a copy of the key. :oops:

Thanks in advanced :)

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

It could be a bad ignition switch. They do occasionally go bad.

You can ether track down a replacement, or install a momentary contact switch. And, land the wires now connected to the start location on the ignition switch to the new start switch.

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Installing a push button to start switch is the easiest way to handle the situation if an ignition switch is hard to come by. I have done this on several older vehicles in the past. Also becomes a passive anti-theft device.

Fred

4. subaru-mimi

subaru-mimi New Member

I have been looking for a new ignition cylinder, but I really like the idea of push to start! Thanks guys for all your help! I just purchased a push to start kit on amazon so in a couple days everything should be fixed :)