1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition Coil

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by captain_dc, Oct 22, 2012.

1. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

I had problems in Rain and snow that I could not figure out for the longest time.
    Finaly with a little help from a freind we managed to isolate the problems to the ignition coil. The coil has a dificult to see crack and when sprayed with water while running in the dark you can actualy see it arc. We siliconed it up and doused it in WD 40...has been working not bad.
    I recently recieved a new coil but was disapointed after instalation that it did not produce nearly as much power as when the old one was in.
    I put both coils on the ohm meter and found the new coil had way more resistance then the old one. It sure looks the same...and has the same conection.
    Does anybody know if there are 2 diferent types? The old one says something about for use with a resistor..the new one does not.
    I read that a 2000 caravan has the same coil except for the conector? Anyone know if this is true?
    Help would be apreciated

Daniel

Subaru Sambar pickup 1991 standard aspiration.

2. JakeStrong

JakeStrong New Member

Did you ever try the caravan coil?

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You say the new one has a lot more resistance than the old one. The old one was designed to be used with an ignition resistor, the new one is not. Bypass the resistor and you should get a good spark and bring back the performance.

Fred

4. Mike farrell

Mike farrell New Member

My coil is shot. I see in the “green book” that there are three coils available for a 1991 KS4. Anyone know wh difference?

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I see the following 3 in the parts lookup for A-type vehicles (11/89-07/91): 22433KA160, 22433KA171, and 22433KA200. The first is for the EN07C, the second is for the EN07Y, and the last is for the Akabou trucks and EN07L. All of which are discontinued at the dealer, so you will need to find a used one.

That said, the later half of 1991 have completely different part numbers as they are part of B-type. Those are 22433KA261 for EN07C and EN07L, and 22433KA291 for EN07Y.

You can tell which "type" you have by looking at the VIN tag. It will have "KS4Axxx" or "KS4Bxxx" under the VIN, the 4th character is the "type". Also, you can look at the coil itself for the part number, as it would be printed on it. It may have a plastic cover over it, but the cover is removable.

Drain likes this.