1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you feel like the job is going too well.....

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Wolfman, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

.... it probably is. Got my clutch in the mail Monday. It was sitting by the door when I got home from work. Tuesday afternoon, I meet with my nighbour to utilize his shop to work on the truck, since the winds have been howling all day, and the temps have been steadily dropping. We get to work, carefully noting and stowing away the various nuts and bolts, where they cannot get lost. Transmission comes apart with only minor grumping due to the requisite hidden bolt. New clutch is installed within about 15 mintues. Transmission goes back together with equal minor grumping due to normal issues getting everything aligned properly. By midnight, all bolts are finally torqued, and we're ready for a test drive. We make it no farther than the end of our road, before clutch pedal goes completely to floor. We get it turned around and pushed untill gravity can take over well enough for me to slip the tranny into gear without needing the clutch, so we can limp back to the shop.

Now I'm scratching my head, wondering what just went wrong, and looking at what will be the second complete drivetrain teardown in as many days. :frustration:

2. barneyrb

barneyrb Member

If your truck has a hydraulic clutch your slave or master cylinder is either out of fluid or bad. IMHO

3. slimbad

slimbad Member

Wolfman. sorry to hear about your clutch, if it's similar to mine (mitsu) might be your return spring popped loose from the clutch release fork shaft. maybe this will show what i'm talking about, later......slim

Attached Files:

4. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Bummer. Seems to be one of those times when everything is going wrong for everyone! Our truck went from barely running, thinking problem found and fixed, to not running at all. Hope you get problem corrected so we can know what to look for when we get to that problem ourselves.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Mine is cable. Cable is fine. I'm just gonna be saddled with another teardown to figure out what went haywire.

6. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

I would check and double check everything from the pedal to the Tranny before I cracked that thing open again.

One of my mini's was running poorly and I spent three hours trying to find out why it was missing only to find the vacume hose to the break booster got disconnected during or before shipment. Purred like a kitten after I connected the hose.

Jeff

7. slimbad

slimbad Member

Wolfman, if your cable is fine (not disconnected at #4 in picture) i would think spring or something would have to bring your clutch pedal up to top. unless the clutch plates aren't properly aligned and are possibly binding? anyway if these diagrams aren't apples and oranges (mitsu-daihatsu) just trying to help......later, slim

Attached Files:

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Unfortunately for me, we already have checked. The clutch fork feels like it's extremely loose inside the bell housing. Before this, I was not able to move the fork with my fingers. Now, I can easily run it the entire travel with one finger. I'm hoping to get this sorted out by tonight.

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yeah, the design is different. The clutch isn't sitting on the floor, the fork simply is no longer moving the throwout bearing. Something came apart inside, so I get to open everything up again.

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the adjustment. Did you adjust the cable after the installation. If you or someone else has been crankin on the adjustment of the cable to get they can out of the old one maybe because the clutch is new now it somehow engaged the clutch too far and something has slipped out of place.

-Greg

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

Wolfman, sorry couldn't help. what confused me was this out of your orig post:

"We make it no farther than the end of our road, before clutch pedal goes completely to floor."

Good luck on it, later.....slim

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Verdict is in. I must share a component of blame for my setback. The throwout bearing I was sent, had a different spring on it. Looking at both carefully, it looked like it was still able to use the spring off of my old throwout bearing, as the one on the new one will not fit in any way, shape, or fashion to the clutch fork. Well, I thought wrong. It bound up, and bent the spring. I attempted to correct the bend, only to snap the spring in half. So, now I'm gonna have to get with Chad (I now have pics of the parts), and see what he has, that will fix my predicament.

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

No problem. I appreciate the attempts to help solve my mystery. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to secure new parts the hard way - by matching up a replacement visually. :(

14. greg0187

I see you are having problems trying to find this spring. I assume you are going to attempt to use your old throw out bearing when you find one. I'm not sure if you thought of this or not but have you tried lookin to find a Fork to fit the new throwout bearing and spring. I'm also a little confused on how you ended up in this predicament. Was the clutch kit for the wrong model?

Thanks,
    Greg

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The clutch and pressure plate are fine. Parts sources are showing the same throwout bearing, clutch, and pressure plate for pretty much all of the Hijets. Unfortunately, it is the information for the throwout bearing that is wrong. I got a picture of the clutch assembly that is being referenced for the parts that are being offered through Daihatsuhelp.com. What they show, is far different from what is in my truck. The retaining spring on the throwout bearing that was sent to me, cannot be mounted in any way, shape, or form to my clutch fork.

As for using my old bearing. It looks to be in good working order, so I have no problems with re-using it if I must. If I can get the CORRECT throwout bearing and spring, I'll happily purchase one, so that the job will be done "right."

16. greg0187

Hmmm... So, do you think your truck is unique in some way? How do you know for sure you got the right part?

-Greg

17. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I don't think my truck is unique. I can only guess that something was changed with the design of the clutch linkage, that has apparently gone unnoticed by potential U.S. parts suppliers. As for the clutch and pressure plate, aside from the clutch looking a tad more robust, everything bolted in exactly as it should have, and worked fine.

18. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Don't know if this place can help, but he has had what we've needed for our farm tractors & heavy truck and he has passenger parts. He has a big inventory and knows his buisness. Might be worth a call - Kentucky Clutch in Brooks, KY (just outside Louisville) 502-955-9173. Can't remember his name.

19. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Update!!!!

Ok, thanks to Chad for his dilligence and for going above and beyond the call of duty in making sure that I had all of the right parts, my truck is now back on the road. The part arrived in the mail yesterday, and my neighbour and I reassembled the drivetrain this afternoon. This time, instead of losing the ability to disengage the clutch after a few presses, we were able to drive into town and back without any issues. I am however, gonna have to check the tranny oil to make sure that I didn't lose too much, from leaking out the front and rear driveshaft seals in the t-case.

To be noted, I don't know when, or how many years they used the style of clutch release bearing and fork, but do make sure that you have the right bearing. swapping the spring from the old to the "new" one, if you get one with the spring that looks like a set of ears on it, will NOT work. From what I can tell, the spring that is in my truck, is more there to keep the clutch fork in alignment, than to hold the bearing in place. Only the inner diameter of the bearing on my truck moves. The other part number (what is seemed to be deemed a "universal" part across all trucks, the entire outer housing moves. Attempting to put the old spring in a lip between the bearing, and the back solid section, only resulted in the spring forcing itself over the lip, and onto the moving part. This caused the spring to get bent, and the fork to quit working.

I haven't had the chance to check Chad's site yet, but hopefully, he's going to start carrying both bearings.

20. greg0187

Thanks for the update Wolfman. Its good to hear that you got everything worked out, and in a timely manner.

-Greg