1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idle problems

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Brandon Boso, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Brandon Boso

Brandon Boso New Member

Hey I'm new to the mini truck world so I do t really know anything about them. I have a 2004 Mitsubishi U62T with the 3g83 motor in it and I'm having problems with it idling at a low idle. It is also very hard to start. Also it smokes like a freight train. I did a live feed diagnosis and when running higher rpms the spark said it was around 20 to 21. But when you tried to idle it it dropped to -10. Is this normal. Please help me

2. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

10˚ retarded sounds like an awful lot, most engines idle around 5˚ advanced (+/- a bit). That certainly could be the root cause.

I don't know anything about that engine, if it's a distributor maybe you can twist it and see what it'll do, but if it's fully electronic ignition as I expect it will probably compensate.

When you say live feed, I assume you're talking OBD-II, and the computer is saying that it's firing at those times? Distributor could be stabbed a tooth off and its maxing out its adjustment...

What's this history on the motor? Is it distributor ignition? This isn't likely to be something mini truck specific, just general gasoline engine troubleshooting unless something is screwed up in engine management or electronic sensor land that makes it more model specific.

3. Brandon Boso

Brandon Boso New Member

Oh I will try to turn the distributor cap and see if that helps. Also the things smokes like a freight train. It's not steam like a cracked head but it smells like old unburnt gas and is blue in color.

4. theguide

theguide Member