1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idle Issue on Mazda Scrum (Suzuki)

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by bstory, Jun 2, 2008.

1. bstory

bstory New Member

Truck runs with a high idle and after about 15 minutes or so when you cut the engine, it has a very rough turn-off. Noticed a leak near the carb and exhaust. Also, it appears the vacuum hose housing has rusted out and the hoses do not seal. Tried adjusting the idle screw, but didn't help. Truck still runs, but am concerned not for long with these issues.

Sorry for the generic post, but I know nothing about engines. Got a manual from Dan, but has been no help for my skills. Anyone know of a good place to take it in the Fort Worth area and is reasonably priced? Need to bring in the experts on this one.

Thanks for any help. This site is awesome.

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

bstory,
    I'm no where close to you but i have a thought on getting a good mechanic. Check with the local Vocational school that teaches Auto mechanics and ask the instructor for some referals. It's such a jungle trying to get a quality, reasonable priced mechanic. Luckly, many years ago, I found just such a mechanic. An ASE certified mechanic that works from home.

You will find a lot of barn-yard mechanics out there. A lot feel themselves to be a mechanics, but certification is the real proof.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. BoDaB

BoDaB New Member

certification is not the proof, skill is and i had a hard time finding one. I would try the trade schools also.

4. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

True, Certification is proof of testing only... but the lack of it is suspect also. I was lucky to get an excellent mechanic that is certified and very knowledgable. It's tough finding someone with those qualifications. Yes, the trades schools and instructors there can help with the selection process.

5. bstory

bstory New Member

Appreciate the feedback. Took your advice and called around to get a few referrals. Taking the truck in tomorrow to get it looked at. Hopefully, it will be just a clogged up carb, but we will see. Can't wait to get my truck back up and running.

Thanks Again.

6. wendl

wendl New Member

sounds like you have a sticky float and may need a good tune up
    General rule is a new Timing Belt @ 80 K and while your in there change the Idler and seals
    and there is a small coolant hose just above the timing cover on the engine
    inspect it for leakage as i have had to replace it already because of a leak on a truck!;)