1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some "High Altitude Advise"....possible re-jetting.

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Tirediron, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron New Member

I just bought a 1990 Subaru Sambar Pickup a couple months ago from the Road Island area and had it shipped to Denver. (5800 ft altitude). I drove it around Denver for a while and was happy with its power and performance. A couple days ago I loaded it up and hauled to my cabin which is about 8900-9000ft in altitude. Got it off the trailer and took it out for a road test. It was warm and sunny about 75 degrees. It ran ok considering the altitude....then it rained. Now it sputtered and would barely get out of second gear...I almost couldn't get back to the cabin. This morning....sun shining again and about 75 degrees....and it at least runs as good as when I first brought it up.
    So....I suspect I'm suffering from high altitude O2 starvation....and when it rains there is just enough "less" O2...that it just says..."That's IT i'm not gonna run..!!!
    So My question is....I know the 1990 is carbureted and not injected....but does it have any altitude compensating equipment....or is just straight Main Jets and such? Where might I go for suggested jetting information and replacement jets? I'm pretty happy with this little truck....but not if can't breathe up here.
    Please advise

Jim Walters
    Cotopaxi Colorado

2. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

That it fails in the wet suggests to me a peek inside the distributor cap is in order, and a good look at the plug wires/coil/related.

Could be a carb/altitude problem but that's what I'd check first.