1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Timothy porter, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Timothy porter

Timothy porter New Member

I have a early 90s diahatsu hijet mini truck. I bought it at and auction at a old paper mill and it ran great. After having it for a couple years it just sat and now it doesn't run. Well not excactly it runs but is very hard to start and have to crank the starter over and over again. Once it's started it run very poorly eventually just dies Please help me

2. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

first of all your gas is new right ? you have checked fuel pump and fuel filter. cleaned rotor and distributer cap. start there and let us no.
    Good luck--Tony

Timothy porter likes this.
  3. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

also remember to make sure coil grounds are clean and secure

4. Timothy porter

Y
    yes I have replaced the whole distributer cap and the inside parts and have also replace fuel filter twice and yes clean gas. The truck runs but I have not been able to drive it because it dies and it takes forever to start. Usually you have to crank the starter until it just stops.

5. Timothy porter

Tha
    Thank you so much for your help it's really appreciated

6. Timothy porter

Also I am only 16 and know quite a bit about engines but this diahatsu is way different than your average 350 Chevy small block

7. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

ok then, I suspect it may be a sticky carburetor which is unfortunate , because there a bit of a complex ordeal. If I were you I would buy some new vacuum hose for everything. You can buy that quite cheap. It also lets you know that is not a vacuum issue. Next label all hoses and remove your carb. buy the correct carb cleaner solution and take apart and clean everything. Most likely the crappy ethanol gummed up your carb needles and float. Good luck

fmartin_gila likes this.
  8. Timothy porter

Okay thank you tony I will try that today but what's the reason why it still runs but very poorly

9. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

it probably does not run well because fuel is not flowing smoothly or a jet is clogged or one of your vacuum lines has a hole in it. You could start with your vacuum lines. Replacing them I mean. for about $30 and an afternoon of your time you can change lines. if your problem is still not resolved then clean Carb.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  10. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

also a lot of guys swear by sea foam additive to their fuel. look it up here on the forum

fmartin_gila likes this.
  11. Timothy porter

Okay thank you once again

12. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: