1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help identifying odd wheel/lug nuts. Please assist.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Schick, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Schick

Schick Member

Here is a picture of the lug (wheel?) nuts on the rear of my 1991 Titan. The rear is a dual wheel setup. Kinda cool, with little wheels. :)

I notice that they are very different from typical lug nuts. Any idea what they are? What they do, or why they are different? I need to pull all the wheels off and do a big brake job. Any assistance or guidance would be great.

Here's a pic:
    Lug Nuts_smaller.jpg

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

The hex nuts hold the outer wheel in place (need to be removed 1st and then this will release the outer wheel. Then the square "Nuts" need to be removed to release the inner wheel. Check closely as some may be left hand threads, you may be able to see "L"cast into the very end of the square.

Fred

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. harley rose

harley rose Member

They are diff because you have you have a hub-centric wheel not a lug-centric one... VERY common if not always in Med to HD trucks

4. Schick

Schick Member

Terrific. Thanks very much. I was told that only the front passenger (left) are left threaded. I am assuming the hex nuts will come out easily enough with a good multi-point socket. I am unsure how someone removes the square items. Silly question, but are the square ones bolts? I am clearly new at this.

5. Schick

Schick Member

Thanks. It looks like I need to do some research and educate myself about hub-centric and lug-centric wheels. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

6. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

im confused, are you talking about the 6 10mm bolts in the middle or the large lugnuts?

the 6 10mm bolts as said are for the diff. hubcentric wheels means the bore of the wheel has to exactly match the bore of the wheel bearing cap/diff because its what centers the wheels and if you switch rims to a bigger diameter, youre going to get vibration on the highway. lugcentric wheels means the wheels are centered by the lugnuts, so you can swap to a different rim with a bigger bore and it doesnt really matter. if you put larger bore diameter wheels on a hubcentric vehicle, they make plastic/rubber rings for like 20 bucks tire shops have to make up the difference in gap

otherwise i used to work on dually cube vans and such and the inside rear wheel is held against the brake drum by the pressure put on the outer wheel by the lugnuts. if youre talking about the lugnut stud ends being square and holding on the rear wheel ive never heard of that before

7. Schick

Schick Member

Sorry for my confusion. I was referring to the nuts on the outside, not the inner 6. Dually setups are new to me. I did some research and understand more of the differences between hub and lug-centric. I am however, still unsure how to remove the square headed studs/nuts (not sure what to call them). Thanks for helping me out.

8. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

I would assume the inner wheel is held by the outer one and the wheel studs are attached to the brake drum, take the outer wheel off and send a picture here. I can't see the wheel studs actually holding the inner wheel. If you ubbolt the outer the inner should slide off

9. Schick

Schick Member

Thanks again. I will have to run into the city in the next few days and buy the correct socket. The lugs are huge. The largest socket I have is 21mm, and the lug is much larger. I also think the socket has to be really deep, as the inner nut seems to protrude around 1'' to 1.5". The wheel is pretty deep too, I will use the impact, or buy a big breaker bar and a long extension.

10. harley rose

harley rose Member

No inter nut !! just the flat nuts. That's the diff: hub-cen uses flat nuts while lug-cen uses a bevel or bulge nut....

11. Schick

Schick Member

Sorry for the confusion, but the inner nut I am referring to is the one that the outer lug nuts fit over, not the nuts at the center of the wheel. Forgive me, but I do not know what the square topped nuts around the outside, with the larger lug nuts are referred to as. Inner wheel nuts?

12. harley rose

harley rose Member

"but I do not know what the square topped nuts around the outside, " NOT NUTS wheel studs!!!!! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

13. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

yep those are the wheel studs, theyre press fit into the brake drum. 99% you take the lugnuts off and both wheels will come off

14. Schick

Schick Member

Thanks to all. Again, my apologies for being ignorant of this topic. First time for everything. It was difficult to explain, since I did not know all the terminology. I will remove the large lug nuts only. I never intended to touch the centre ones. :)

Attached Files:

15. ttc

ttc Active Member

the "not ones" hold the axle into the rear end.

16. fmartin_gila

Kinda curious what you found out about the wheel mounting as there are some differing thoughts in the posts and some misinformation by some who are not familiar with duals or have only had experience with one type mounting.

Fred

17. matt167

matt167 Active Member

In the US, they are nicknamed Budd wheels but correct term is Stud piloted.. Zip off the lugnuts and remove outer wheel, then the 'Budd stud' comes out to release the inner wheel. You may have some dogbone brackets that hold things. The medium duty Japanese trucks like Izuzu NPR are all set up this way. Left side is reverse thread most likely and will be marked L if it is.

18. fmartin_gila

matt167, thanks for providing the proper terms. I got out of trucks & mechanics almost 20 years ago now and some things elude my old feeble mind. I do wish the OP would post exactly what he found cause as I mentioned, there is some misinfo in some of the posts.

Fred