1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a 1990 mighty mits mini is it road legal

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Billtolar, Feb 24, 2015.

?

Is a 1990 mighty mits mini truck road legal

1. I have a1990 mighty mits can i drive it on the road legal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Is a 1990 mits mini truck alowed on the road

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Billtolar

Billtolar New Member

I have a 1990 mistubishi mighty mits mini truck 4x4 full cab with dump box is it road legal, i just got it and know nothing about it,thanks

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

not in Michigan

3. ozarkman

ozarkman Member

4. airbats801

airbats801 New Member

I wonder if the epa and nhsta laws on 25+ year vehicles circum vent the normal state laws. Oregon let me register my u15v van no problem

5. ozarkman

ozarkman Member

Well, I kinda doubt it. My Big Question: Did your truck come with a U.S.-type VIN? I've learned that it makes all the difference to the State and the insurance underwriters.

My '99 Mits has no actual VIN, and I seriously doubt that your truck had one from the factory. It does have an ID plate with model, chassis, transaxle and engine numbers, but they cannot be combined to make a VIN because they're the same numbers/letters for all the trucks in that series and therefore do not provide individual vehicle identification.

Where I live (AR), no VIN = no insurance or registration possible. However, I can apply for a VIN if I buy a bond for $100 and pay a fee to the revenue office, which is the same process used for a home-built trailers and vehicles. The DMV will then issue a stamped metal ID plate with the new VIN, which I'm required to affix to my truck with rivets. THEN I can buy insurance and register my truck if desired.

Interestingly, licence plates are still not required for minitrucks in my state even though they may be driven on any road with a speed limit of 55 mph of less, excluding limited-access highways and Interstates. Liability insurance is my main concern, so I need to apply for the state-issued VIN. So, does your truck have a real VIN?

6. airbats801

airbats801 New Member

actually they do have a vin, its not us standard length. the lancers and van I imported all have non standard length vins, which can be insured via progressive,.

The fun part is, I believe they dont allow mini trucks, but nothing is said about mini vans :)

7. ozarkman

ozarkman Member

I have learned a thing or two since my last post. I have been able to purchase liability insurance on my '99 Minicab through Safeco (a Liberty Mutual Company). My agent combined the ID numbers to make a "VIN" with the required number of digits. It worked. Registration is still not required (or desired) since I can legally drive it with no tags on any road in Arkansas except Interstate highways. I always carry the IIHS document — http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks — in case I'm stopped by a LEO. It has only happened once, and I think the guy just wanted to see the truck. I showed him the document, and after a pleasant conversation about the truck's setup and features we said our goodbyes and went on our way. I've been followed by a State Police cruiser while hauling a washing machine to a distant city for repair and had no incident, so some cops know the score on minis.