1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I FINALLY got insurance!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by dmerc, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dmerc

dmerc Member

I tried Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Geico, State Farm,...etc....etc....etc.....!!!

NO ONE would provide liability for ON ROAD (with a SMV sign) use. A few even offer liabilty for street use of golf carts!!! But, wouldn't do ANYTHING for my li'l Suzuki!!

I finally got it thru' Foremost Ins. Liability and Comp, for $75 per year. My homeowner's already covers it on my property, but that was of little help.

Foremost's agent actually had a listing for a Suzuki Carry!! I couldn't believe it!!

Now I can hit the road, legally!! Well, kinda'!!:D

I still expect the Highway Patrol to nab me, but at least they can't pull my license for being on the road with no insurance!

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear, Dmerc. And thanks for the heads up for the rest.

3. andy_george

andy_george Member

dmerc,

Would Foremost still insure your mini if you ever got it road legal?

I'm also running an SMV sign and would like insurance for peace of mind, but my local agent wants almost $700/year. Would you mind giving me a contact number to the rep you bought your policy through?

Thanks,

-Andy

4. dmerc

dmerc Member

Foremost Ins. 1-800-237-2060

They quoted $88/yr, with collision!:eek: All I wanted was liability, and comp. Their minimum premium is $75, so I dropped the collision, and he raised the liability from 25k to 50k....yet it was still at the minimum premium!

5. dmerc

dmerc Member

I talked with the town Cop today.....he said he has no problem with me driving it with an SMV, but he did say the State boys might!:D

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've thought about the SMV sign for mine, but it's a $450 fine for no registration in arizona.

7. dmerc

dmerc Member

And they won't allow you to register it? So, how could they fine you for not doing what they won't let you do?:cool:

besides, ag equipment doesn't need to be registered.

8. andy_george

andy_george Member

I just called Foremost and they said that since it was ever going to be on the road, they couldn't insure it as an ATV-type vehicle.

You stated that it would be used on some roads with the SMV sign, correct? They say I can't, which is complete bull, because I can insure an ATV here in Michigan and legally drive it on the road with an SMV sign.

Do you have an agent you went through, or directly through the company?

-Andy

9. dmerc

dmerc Member

I simply called, after getting an online quote. He assured me that the liability would be good ON ROAD! I did say it would be on road "occasionally". Maybe they think yours is plated? I'd call back, you got hold of the wrong person! something isn't kosher. It doesn't HAVE to be insured as an ATV, they have a listing for a Carry!

I guess I better read the policy carefully when it comes?

10. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

what state are you in?

11. dmerc

dmerc Member

Ohio............

12. dmerc

dmerc Member

I finally received my documents. I found nothing concerning this situation, so called them again.

The CSR assured me that it is covered for liability while onroad, as long as it's primarily used offroad. And, she checked with a Superviser.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm legal!;)

13. andy_george

andy_george Member

Good deal, good for you. I may try calling them back again soon. The person I spoke to claimed she also spoke with a supervisor...but they *also* claimed that my truck couldn't be covered because it was used on a farm and that makes it a commercial vehicle.

What a load of BS. Where do they think most quads are used? I think whoever I was talking to was half asleep or something....

-Andy

14. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Just for reference, we pay about $500 for insurance in Saskatchewan, depending on your driving record. Thats for liability and collision. (Government insurance)

15. dmerc

dmerc Member

I really agree that you should. The fact that they had a listing for a Carry, made me very hopeful. BUT, calling back today, sealed the deal. Having the declarations page ispeace of mind. Still waiting on my 45mph SIS decal. Should be here this week, I hope! :eek:

16. dmerc

dmerc Member

But your's is street licensed, right? I'm actually fully covered thru' my homeowner's policy....as long as I'm on MY property.

This is just liability, for "occasional" road use. Occassional meaning: Until I get my first ticket:D If the State Patrol leaves me alone, I'll drive it all winter!!:cool:

17. andy_george

andy_george Member

Another question.... what's the SIS decal? Something different than the SMV triangle?

Thanks for all the help,

-Andy

18. dmerc

dmerc Member

It's a new law last year, for "fast tractors". Farm equipment capable of over 25 mph.

You use the same SMV sign, but also have to have the SIS decal (speed indicator symbol) I couldn't find ANY locally, OR, on the Net. It's bizzarre!

I ended up ordering one today, from Doepker Vinyl Graphics. I thought the max was 40mph, but he assured me it was 45mph....which I later confirmed on a law site. His # is in the story below

I doubt I'll get away with it, but others have.

http://www.omeda.org/fastfacts/9490.htm

19. andy_george

andy_george Member

Well, I talked with a local agent of Foremost, and he couldn't help me with insurance at all. I know I could get my mini insured, but for a typical car rate, maybe $700/year, and that's way too much for the amount of time I spend on the road.

So, dmerc, I'm still jealous, you have the perfect policy. I'd take it and run, and ask as few questions in the future as possible!

If I ever do get pulled over I'll point to my Form TR-54(Michigan form of essential on-road equipment), say I have all the necessary equipment but the state won't let me license it, insurance companies won't insure it, and my homeowners insured it for 2 weeks before dropping me because it was "road legal".

My head is spinning!

-Andy

20. dmerc

dmerc Member

road legal, but unlicensable?:rolleyes:
    Again, mine is titled as an offroad APV, any time onroad, is to be incidental/infrequent type use.

In a case like yours, I'd have to stay off the road. If we're onroad, without insurance, we WILL lose our license (over 25mph,with smv sign and sis decal, requires a driver's license).....actually,more than the safety of liability, I simply NEEDED that Declarations page....it's the only thing that might save me when the State Patrol pulls me over.

The only difference I see between our situations is: I'm insuring for OFFroad use. I can NOT get ANY insurance for onroad use. .....other than the incidental road use that comes with offroad ATV's, golf carts,snowmobiles, etc.

I really think you need to redefine exactly what the use is for (offroad!!), THEN, call foremost's 800#, NOT a local agent, and don't even mention Form TR-54, which implies that you intend to use it onroad.

21. andy_george

andy_george Member

Both times I made it clear that it was an off road vehicle, with very infrequent trips down a gravel road.

Does "off road" insurance cover liability and collision usually? If anyone really never went on the road, why would these matter? I'd think it would only cover personal property damage, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll look into off road more. You're price is still great, though, as I got an online quote for an off road atv and it still said it would cost $350 a year.

-Andy

22. dmerc

dmerc Member

Sorry Andy, maybe it's just a difference by State?
    Do you have any type of title? If not, have you tried for an APV title?

23. Quickblake

Quickblake New Member

mini-me

:frustration:

I have been trying to get ins for days. almost imposible,no wait,it is imposible to get it for onroad use! what a joke!!

24. strick4

strick4 New Member

Got a phone number or address for the Formost company?

Farm Bureau stuck me for $101 for 6 months...with a two car discount!

Been with them for 30 years but it's not love for that kind of difference in price. LOL