1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’d Rather poke a stick in my Eye. Removing the cooling fan 1998 Sambar pickup

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by JTT3, Aug 6, 2020.

1. JTT3

JTT3 Member

If you’ve read my post on cleaning the cooling system you’ll know we discovered the cooling fan was not working. Big shout out to Cop on my back for finding a working cooling fan for me. If you find that your cooling fan is bad, we verified it by direct wiring to the battery, you should sell you Sambar and buy another with the fan working. I’d rather poke a stick in my eye and run around flailing on the ground gnashing my teeth and yelling take me home sweet Jesus! Did the search trying to get some guidance with no luck on radiator or cooling fan replacement. I started looking at what would need to be done to get it out. Now the questions you’re going to have to ask yourself -
    1- Do you want to stay stock using the correct frame and motor?
    2- Can You find a stock working motor if your fan blade and fan frame are good.
    3- What’s the cost doing it that way?
    4- if not can I find a suitable replacement?

Answers for me at the time
    1- why of course I do.
    2- If i really feel lucky, believe in the tooth fairy & the Easter bunny
    3- Cost of the original style fan will be the least of your expense. This was fubar, I’ll explain in a moment.
    4- Yes & cheaply, this will be the least of your cost too.

Around the New Orleans area where I live there’s a saying “it’s easy to forget that you objective was to drain the swamp when you’re up to your arse in alligators!” Welcome to the swamp!
    Subaru must put the radiator & cooling fan on the frame before they put the Cab on. The only thing I haven’t removed is the ash tray.
    The only way I could remove the cooling Fan assembly was to remove the radiator. The only way to remove the radiator is to remove the cooling fan assembly. There are 4 bolts 2 post 5 hoses that hold and connect the radiator in the Sambar. There are only 4 Philip’s head /10 mm screws attaching the cooling fan assembly onto the radiator. I had to remove the brush guard, the brush pan, steering arm yoke, steering wheel pitman arm. The windshield fluid reservoir, the metal box surrounding the radiator filler tank. To do that you need to have at least two car stands to raise the front of the Sambar to work under it. If your rich or lucky an overhead lift. You’ll also need small hands and have practiced yoga extensively. Seriously I’ve just stopped to get some sleep and try to get back at it tomorrow hopefully with a much clearer prospective attitude. Seriously you will have to remove the the fan shroud assembly before you can get the radiator out. To get the radiator out you have to remove all the bolts, and hoses. The hardest to remove are the upper right hand sided hoses. It’s a nightmare. On the bright side I did get the radiator out as well as the fan shroud assembly. The garage floor looks like a yard sale is going on and I’m hoping I remember where everything goes. If I had it to do over again and thank God I won’t, I’d put a aftermarket 9 inch low profile push pull fan on the front side of the radiator and leave the non working shroud and fan on or sale the Sambar. I’ll let you know how it ends up when the folks in the white coats untie my straight jacket later this week. Thanks Forum for allowing me to vent. Best John

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    mrimpala02 likes this.
  2. Heiny

Heiny Member

LOL....... I think most people who have ever worked on vehicles can feel your pain. Sometimes,,,, a lot of times,,,,,, it is good to just walk away for awhile.

hang in there!

Limestone likes this.
  3. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

After personally nearly completing a frame off restoration on mine, I know how difficult this would be to complete with the cab on. There are a ton of hoses and cables around the radiator that makes it very difficult even with the cab off! If you get stuck wondering where hoses go (it is a challenge), I might have some pictures showing hose placement.

4. cop on my back

Here just a few pictures of my project. 2 of them could be very helpful.

Attached Files:

Adam Wheeler likes this.
  5. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Wow. I hope mine runs for a long time.

6. JTT3

JTT3 Member

I hope so too Ohkie, Richard how’d you remove the cab from the frame? I thought they were welded on?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  7. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Subaru’s are not , think they are the only mini truck that wasn’t unibody . So body lift kits are available for them

8. cop on my back

Just 4 small, and I mean small, bolts hold the cab on the frame. I am doing a 2” body lift. You would have to remove the bed too as the cab is bolted to the box along the back of the cab and the lower sides.

9. Reese Allen

Reese Allen Member

Wow, so if this goes wrong on my van...I have to lift the entire van body off the frame?

10. JTT3

JTT3 Member

Well
    Well there is that opportunity but now that Cop on my back said it could be done I might try it. I’ll tell y’all how it worked out once I’m back together, best John

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. Heiny

Heiny Member

Wow, you did take it apart!