1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydraulic clutch pump

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Nautydog1, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Ok! I have been all over the internet and on the phone with hydraulic shops. I’m in a pinch, I have mini with a hydraulic lift gate. It stopped working the other day. It will go up but won’t go down. I have narrowed it down to being the electromagnetic solenoid coil being bad. But I can’t find a name or numbers on the pump. In fact I can’t find anyone to tell me what type of clutch pump it is. This pump is different. It’s a v pump, which runs off a belt off the motor! Like a alternator or a/c compressor but on the back of pump it has a 12v solenoid for the up and down on the lift gate. I can not find one anywhere on the internet. Can someone maybe help and broke old guy out that spent to much money on his toys! Lol

Attached Files:

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

3. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Shogun! I tried that route and G&R imports and no luck

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Can you just bypass it and add a more available valve from something else?

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Kinda what I was thinking too. Go to Grainger or McMaster websites & you can find any number of items you might use. Maybe just get some ideas as to alternatives.

Fred

6. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

I have a old diesel 12v transfer pump that I’m going to retrofit to the hydraulic tank, since the old pump is a single acting pump, this should work! I have tried Yokohama motors for two weeks and no reply. Must be nice to have your own schedule or work on Bidens terms..

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

What you have is a single acting hydraulic cylinder When you push up, it locks up the magnetic clutch and pumps fluid into the cylinder. To lower the solenoid opens the valve, and lets the fluid flow back into the reservoir.

If the solenoid is bad, it won’t open the valve, and you’re stuck in the up position.

On my scissors lift/dump the drop rate is controlled by an orifice in the cylinder, which has a needle attached to teh inside of the cylinder, so that when you lower, it restricts the last foot of drop to make it very slow.

Depending on how the the drop speed on yours is regulated, it could be at the cylinder or in the fittings. Or in the valve itself. So, you need to figure out how that works. If you want to install a new valve.

I’d check the solenoid to see whether it is bad. And, if it is bad see if you can source a new one. On my truck the valve for the hy

8. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Yes the solenoid is shot and I can’t find another solenoid to replace it so like I said in my previous post! I’m going to retrofit a pump to fit! Because I can’t find a pump or parts to fix it. Thank you

9. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

So Yokohama motors got back to me finally and they have a pump! Does anyone know what style or the name of this pump is though! I know it’s a single acting pump with a 12volt solenoid valving with a hydraulic clutch pulley. But there’s a name for it! Can some one help out with the name!

Attached Files:

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

What you need is single acting, 12V Solenoid controlled, hydraulic valve rated for oils. You would plug everything on the pump except the input and discharge to the cylinder, and tee into the cylinder line wherever convenient, and then discharge back to the reservoir.

To drop you would open the valve and let the fluid back into the reservoir.

The other, and probably better, option is to get rid of the factory pump, and hydraulic lines, and install a small single acting hydraulic pump and reservoir, on the outside of the frame just in front of the battery tray. That is where my electric pump is mounted from the factory.

That gives you the ability to mount the switch by the lift gate, and operate it with the truck off, parked and in gear, so it can’t roll.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  11. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Not that it makes much difference, but this would be my choice too. There are a lot of these type units out there and they are very reliable, also would get rid of some complexativity in the engine area.

Fred

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

I apologize if any of this comes across as insulting. But, I never know how much experience/knowledge folks have. Could be years of working on heavy equipment, or they may never have changed their own oil, or done a tune-up on something with points and a distributor before.

You are mis-speaking mis-naming quite a bit of things. so, I am assuming you don’t have much experience.

Your pump is not a V-pump. It is a hydraulic gear pump with an electric clutch, very similar, if not identical to an air conditioning clutch.

In the second photo you attached, the red plugs are on the inlet from the reservoir, and one on the discharge, which leads to the cylinder. You would tee into the lines and install a solenoid operated valve. Took one search on amazon, to find a slew of them, which would work, in the $50-range.

You say the Solenoid itself is what has burned out. Did you check it with an ohm meter? And, it looks very similar to the solenoids used on standard hydraulic systems used on tractors, low riders, and light equipment.

So, you may be able to source one through a farm supply. Or, an Industrial Bearing/Belt/Chain supply shop. And your in Lovelock, so you may be able to get the solenoid through a heavy equipment mechanic.

I think my personal choice would be to convert to a single acting electric pump, mounted to the frame. it would clean up the engine compartment, and put things out where they’re easier to access and maintain.