1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How wide is too wide?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Archer-Andy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

On a stock 99' Suzuki with no lift and standard 7"x12" wide wheels with no wheel spacers:

How wide of a tire can you fit on the front without a rubbing issue?
    How wide of a tire can you fit on the rear?
    Will 23" tires fit on a stock truck without a lift?

I was considering putting 23x8.5x12 on the front and 23x10.5x12 on the rear?
    Actual dimentions for front are 22.4" tall and 8.2" wide
    Actual dimentions for rear are 23.3" tall and 10.0" wide

I am new to mini's and I'm still learning what you can and can't do to these trucks. This site is a wealth of knowledge! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. willyboy

willyboy Member

I was going to buy that truck but like everything else a day late and a dollar short. LOL HeadyDog looked like he took good care of that truck.

3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I have got 23's on mine with no problem at all. The rear really isnt an issue at all, the front isnt either but with the rear stationary/non-turning it doesnt matter. I have had the trucks suspension maxed out on unlevel ground, wheels turned and not even close to rubbing. They are 6x12x23 on stock rims.

4. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Thanks guys. Is the extra width on the front an issue when turning?

5. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hey I was just looking at your dimensions on the tires you are considering. I'm not sure why the front and rear, both being 23's are actually different in height? Was that a misprint or?

You should never put different height tires from front to rear on a 4wd. I know its only less than an inch, and not sure exactly what that calculates to as far as changing the ratios, but rule of thumb is never have different height tires on a 4wd.

6. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

I was wondering the same thing. They are Carlisle Tru Power. They are listed as 23x8.50x12 for the front and 23x10.50x12 for the rear, however as you read the specs on each they list the exact measurements with the differences that you mentioned. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/big_biters/trupower/index.html

7. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Yeah I see that on the website.... Just to clarify what I said also...with there being less than an inch difference in total height... If the truck is off road all the time, it probably wont really affect anything or be noticed....just my opinion only...however, its just wise to stick with same height tires so they are all traveling the same speed, rpms..whatever...you know what Im saying anyway....Those are some heavy duty tires now huh?..;)

8. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Like yourself, I intend to cut a lot of firewood and I am looking for the same qualities in a tire that you did. I will be using it for off road work, mostly on wooded hillsides and ravines. The wider footprint would help to hold the slopes a bit better in theory, yet still have the aggressiveness to get me back to the house when it's muddy. I think that these tires are actually for lawn tractors, but the weight capacity is awesome and more appropriate for the weight of a mini truck with a bed full of oak firewood. I can afford a bit of a rough ride for practicallity. It seems that the design and application is very similar to yours, just a bit wider. If you think these will work, then that is what I am going to shoot for.

9. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

The only difference I see in those vs. mine , aside from the weight capacity of mine is less, yet still appropriate for hauling a load of wood...is my treads are deeper, appear deeper anyway. I dont know how to post a picture here, but there is somewhat of a close-up of my tires in the photo gallery. Also, on ebay right now, type in "japanese mini truck"...you will see some "Nanco Ag-Lug Tires" for sale , 6x12x23.... those are my tires.

Like I said, the traction these type of tires get far exceeds any atv-type tire available (which do not have the load rating needed)...and any atv -type tire I have had over the years.

The ag-lug type tires clean out very well in the thickest mud, unlike most tires you have to keep them spinning to keep the treads clean. I have been overly impressed with them. If you saw the truck in action you'd understand. Going up inclines, crawling in 1st gear in low lock in 6 to 10 inches of thick greasy mud and the treads are staying clean. Unreal tires on an unreal little truck. Perfect match...

My opinions.............;)

10. Dan

Dan Member

A 1" difference in height will be roughly a 3" difference in circumference. the rear tires are going to try to roll further than the front tires per each revolution by 3". this creates a bind in the drivetrain and will cause the tires to scuff out that 3" difference. premature wear on both the tire and the drive train. I think i remember this from math class in school... Pi 3.14 x (diameter) = circumference

11. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Dan, you are correct. I remember that formula. With that being said it looks like I will need to put the 23x8.50x12 all the way around to alleviate that problem with diameter differences between sizes. Thanks for all of your help and advice.

12. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Many ATVs and mini trucks use thicker tires on the back than at the front, but often in the same diameter. I am surprised that a tire sold as 23x8.50-12 would not be 23 inches in diameter. I have just ordered two tires listed as
    25x8-12 for the front of my truck, to go with the same tires in 25x11-12 already on the rear. It did not occur to me that the new tires might have a smaller diameter than the old tires despite having the same nominal dimensions.

Samurai

13. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Dan,
    my memory of math in school was/is: pi=round-cake=square. Pretty dumb huh?

14. Dan

Dan Member

I can remember mumbling to myself in school...~WTF am i ever going to need this for??? who would have thought it would get involved with playing in the dirt...