1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Set Timing?

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by castlehill, Sep 6, 2007.

1. castlehill

castlehill New Member

We have a 91 Mitisubishi that is in the shop as the seals went out on it. Like said before we did find the seals that matched at a local big bearing and seal company and got that all fixed. Now the mechanic is trying to put it back together and didn't mark the timing belt. Is there anyone out there that can tell us how to time our mini truck or which mark to use? Thanks in advance! Donnie

2. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Usually there are no marks on the belt itself You just line up the marks on the cam gear, and put the crankshaft at TDC and put the belt on. Then turn the engine by hand for several revolutions and make sure the timing marks line each time the come around. Do not try and turn it with the starter until you are sure you have the marks lined up properly.

3. castlehill

castlehill New Member

Thanks for the reply

We will take this information to the mechanic and see what he can get done. We sure have missed using out truck!

4. castlehill

castlehill New Member

Another question...

The mechanic said on the cam gear there are two marks - one is a dot and the other a triangle and reasonable close together. Do you know which one to use?

Thanks soooooooo much for helping - This has NOT been easy to fix!

5. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

It is usually the DOT.....but the only way to make sure is to look at the valves and make sure the ones for #1 cylinder are closed.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I've pulled valve covers off of vehicles in the past. What I notice when the engine is at TDC, is the cam lobes will be pointed upwards (in relation to the head) in a "V" fashion.

7. castlehill

castlehill New Member

Thanks for all the information! We got our mini truck back home now and it's running great!

8. castlehill

castlehill New Member

Maybe a picture of our mini truck in use...

I'm not sure I got the picture posted, but if it comes thru this is what we do with our mini truck mostly - hunt coons and squirrels. This was some of the coon hides that we sold for 2006-07 season and our two Mountain Cur dogs. If you are bored you can visit our web site. www.castlehillkennels.com

Thanks again for everyone's help

Attached Files: