1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove rear axles

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by Ravk, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Ravk

Ravk Member

I had to replace the boots on the rear of my 89 Acty. Here is how I did it.

Jacked up the truck and supported it on the frame with jack stands.
    Remove the wheels and brake drums.
    Tie a strap to the center of the axle and support the axle ends with jacks.
    Remove the bolts holding the spring to the axle and lower the axle. Watch out for the brake line.
    Shift the axle to one side, pry the CV joint from the transmission. Using a 3 jaw puller, press out the wheel side of the axle.
    Repeat for the other side.

The CVs come apart quite easy, just remember where the circlip goes!:frustration:

If you have any more questions, just ask here:rolleyes:

2. Drum removal

How did you remove the drums? Did you remove the axle nut? I can't see a split were the drum would slide off. What did you end up torquing the CV axle nut to?

3. Ravk

Ravk Member

rear drum

First mark the nut position with a drift, that way you do not need the torque spec. Remove the cotter pin and the nut. Loosen the nut with the wheels on the ground to get enough torque, loosen lugnuts, jack up and remove the wheel.
    There is a split collar with a taper to lock the drum to the axle, remove it with a magnet or small pliers being careful not to damage it.
    Use a slide hammer with a drum attachment or steering wheel puller to pull off the drums. Do not use a 3 jaw puller on the rim of the drum, this can warp it.
    Disconnect the inbord CV then press out the outer.
    Reverse for install, lining up the drift mark on the nut, torque should be the same as the last time it was installed.:)

4. Thanks for the information. I did get as far as removing the nut and washer and was about to put a slide hammer onto the drum then thought maybe I should find out before I break something.

Thanks again for the info!

5. mike o

mike o Member

Axle Removal

Jeez I love the smart folks 'round here.:D

6. bdd521

bdd521 New Member

Ravk,

I have an Acty I am trying to remove the rear CV shafts on and i cannot get the outboard side of the shaft that the wheel goes on pressed out of the wheel bearings. Did you just press it out when you removed yours or did you have to remove the four 10mm bolts on the wheel bearing housing to get the shaft out? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bdd521

7. Ravk

Ravk Member

I pressed the shafts out. Add a little penetrating oil to the joint between the shaft and the wedge to help remove the wedge and lube the shaft.
    I have had trouble before with removing axle shafts and made a press that helps. The best way that I have done it without the press is placing the nut on the shaft, threaded to the top of the stud, and with an old socket on the nut (but not contacting the bearing) tap out the CV stud. MOST of the time this works without damaging the threads. The socket must be flat on the nut and you must hit it square on the socket.

Good luck

PS. removing the 4 bolts can not be done without pulling the shaft, if you do get it apart that way, watch where everything is

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  8. bdd521

bdd521 New Member

Got it apart using the center out of an old 3 jaw puller, a large hammer and some pent up anger over the situation. Came out easily once I started it moving. Thanks Ravk

9. I removed my axle today. The info in this thread was extremely helpful.

Instead of a 3 jaw puller, we hit it with a 2x4 and a 8# hammer. A few licks and it started moving.

I will be sending the axle off to get rebuilt at Gorilla Axles.