1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to pull the carb?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by froek, Dec 11, 2011.

1. froek

froek Member

Last ditch update: I ran the truck without the top of the carb off and jammed the carb cleaner hose into all holes and unloaded while revving and it finally smoothed it out. I think I got it into the float bowl. I think it's safe to say I have a varnish buildup problem. Now where can I find a carb kit in Japan? I definitely need to rebuild this carb.

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

It may not need to be rebuilt. I would run some Seafoam additive in the gas to clean any remaining varnish and see how it does. If it does need work the only place I've found gaskets is here. http://yokohamamotors.net/store/page10.html

3. froek

froek Member

Solved

I have been some 'normal' cleaner additive (STP or no-name brand) in the tank but maybe I'm using the wrong kind.. I have not tried seafoam yet.

Thanks for the link - I've been searching for a solid importing site! I would like to have a rebuild kit on hand regardless. Whether Seafoam works or not, it's probably a good idea to have em handy based on the availability. I may want to pull the carb just to have a little hands-on fun and give it a good go. I'm sure being 20 years old and never been touched it probably wants a little TLC.

Anyways, thank you very much OldMachinist, you have been incredibly helpful. I have learned a TON just in this past week and I'm enjoying every minute. I just took the truck out for a 1/2 hour spin and it's very peppy, and not a single misfire at all!! She feels brand new! The idle is way up but that's an easy change after all this I went through. :pop:

Thanks again! :D

4. froek

froek Member

Pulled Carb, cleaned and back to running

:D

Hi Guys,

OldMachinist - your pictures and instructions helped me out big time. I will post the pics I took. In short the main float bowl gasket was a mess. It was flattened and full of honey-gooey crap. I installed a new power valve assembly and gaskets. Cleaned just about every part of the carb including taking the float apart, power assembly, venturi, solinoid, vaccum/gas lines. I did not adjust anything per se, just a lot of carb cleaner and TLC. There were two vacuum sized lines - black, right beside each other than when into the middle of the carb. Those lines were filled with dry crap.

I would like your comment on the float bowl varnish build up. Is it bad in your opinion? I have no reference as to what is a dirty carb or a clean carb. In my opinion, it was a bit dirty, and horrible in other areas - but it wasn't like it was placed in mud. There were a few significant deposits that needed to be brushed off. The jets didn't appear to be too bad but did have some discoloration around them (varnish). I was careful not to scratch any of the brass components.

Additionally I removed the side oil pan and re-did it with some new 700F degree RTV sealant. Appears to be why that area below the carb was leaking a small amount of oil.

Attached Files:

5. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

The varnish in the bowl isn't bad. Sounds like you got it all cleaned. Where did you end up finding parts and gaskets?

6. froek

froek Member

Yokohama.. they were great!

7. froek

froek Member

dang

I thought for sure I licked this problem.. but it's back. Definitely running rich - the plugs are carbon fouled. Same sorta engine misfiring every second or 1/2 second. I put in new plugs even though these ones are only 2 years old. Seems to run a bit better with plugs but it's still misfiring. This time the carb was completely clean of varnish. I did notice one of the jets really close to the butterfly near the throttle body was a bit black/gummy. Not sure how that happened so quickly as I would have cleaned it 2 weeks ago.

I do notice that one of the fuel lines that go back to some sort of canister - I believe this is the canister purge? I have no idea what that does but it was sorta dirty.

I also leaned her out a bit by adjusting the pilot screw and then checked the plugs. However she's still misfiring and the adjustment of the pilot screw does nothing to idle.

When I put the carb back together, nothing really changed.

The amount of black soot that I can fire out the tailpipe is ridiculous. It's kinda like it's wet and makes a pretty bad stain on my driveway when I rev it out of the tailpipe. I read somewhere that maybe the catalytic is needing cleaning?

I also noticed a bit of gummyness around my spark plugs and when I looked into the chamber of the piston they didn't appear clean, kinda black.

What now?

8. froek

froek Member

Forgot to mention - when I 'leaned out' the float.. I bent the tab so that it would shut off flow of gas into the bowl sooner.. but when the float was level I'm not so sure it makes a seal when the float is level.. I don't have a float gauge so I'm really guessing at what 16mm is.