1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make more torque?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by KCCats, Oct 3, 2017.

1. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Im a snowmobile mechanic and I know how to build HP out of a 2 stroke!
    But in a 4 stroke about the only thing I know of is to increase stroke to make more torque?
    I plan on reworking my exhaust manifold (unless some one makes a header for the Suzuki 660?)
    And have been toying with the Arctic Cat 660 motor that makes 80hp stock!
    But have hit dead ends when it comes to anyone knowing what all is different?

So how do you make torque? Not as concerned about top end HP!

2. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get more torque out of the little 660?

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The same way the factory does.. TURBO. The turbo manifold is not very expensive. Around $150. A fitting but cheap turbo can be had for another $150-200. The only thing that it comes down to is fuel. Turbocharging with a carburetor is tricky, but doable. You only need to make about 5 PSI to create 66hp

Trey 4x4 likes this.
  4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Again that's adding HP and usually that is only at the upper end of RPM.
    Not low end torque

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

hp is a calculation of torque at 5,250 rpm. so both go up.. Turbo can spool at a low RPM if it's sized accordingly

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

But Im looking for more at 1000 rpm when Im letting out the clutch with a load on!

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

shoehorn an F10A in there. You can't get torque out of 660cc at that low rpm. The velocity and mass isn't there for the torque you want. That's why you have to spin them up.. The only way your going to make it is with displacement. The F10A with the right parts will bolt in since Super Carry's used them. I wonder if a G13 will work out of a Samurai or Sidekick/Geo Tracker. The Samurai/ Jimny used the F10A in other countries.

8. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have a swift gt 1.3 twin cam!

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

i can haul a load of hardwood the height of the cab almost the full length of the box and not have issues i can also load the box till it will have a hard time to tip and not have a hard time. if you need torque to the wheels put it in low range in the transfer case

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

if you google it i think there is a 4 banger suzuki swap somewhere out on the intwebs

11. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The F10A 1.0L 4cyl which was put into the Super Carry/ Bedford Rascal will fit with the right parts.. Most 5spd Suzuki's don't have low range. They do have an EL gear but it's not as low as a low range 1st. It is kind of a tradeoff to get the road manners of the 5spd. KCCats didn't mention it but his truck is a 5spd

12. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

So what was the F10a offered in?
    I have a few Metro 1.0 3cyl!

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The F10A came in the Super Carry/ Bedford Rascal and it was also used in the Samurai/ Jimny. The US spec Samurai normally has the G13 engine but I do think at one time the F10A was available. The normal Japanese Jimny has a turbocharged F6A suggesting this will all bolt up with the right parts.. Surely tho if you really wanted one you could find one and have it shipped. It's basically an F6A with an extra cylinder. Theres room for it

A Samurai G13 and it's matching transmission, might work if the bell housings are different. The only catch is the Carry engines are all canted with special oil pans. It's been so long since I've seen a Samurai, I don't know if those engines are canted, and the Metro/ FWD models for sure are not.

14. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The tracker is straight up too.

15. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I knew that. My uncle fell in love with those things at one time and then bought every one of them he could find.

16. ttc

ttc Active Member

Oil pick up and dip stick got to be the only difference. There has to be Japanese vehicles with canted engines or larger engines in Europe or uk

17. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Intake manifold also. The carburator has to sit level. An FI swap it wouldn't matter though

18. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

But even if I can get the metro in there, how would I wire the efi?

19. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Same as any engine swap. One of 2 options. Cut original metro harness/ ECU down to a standalone system, and wire power and grounds where they need to for ECU to function. Or you have the option of using a standalone ECU and tune it. I would run a Mirosquirt which is Megasquirt 2 about 1/2 the size