1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to "fix" your horn!

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Tinytoy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

If you like the sound of your horn this post is not for you!
    Our family has owned an 84 Suburban since new and have had plenty of opportunities to use the horn. Growing up hearing a GETOUTATHAWAY horn makes the horns in these trucks sound a little light in the loafers soooo before the Suburban went to the Great Parking Lot, it donated its dual horns to the Little Carry!
    The horn on my Carry has power to it at all times and sounds when the ground is completed. Chevy is grounded all the time and sounds when power is sent to them .
    The GM horns are mounted directly to the plastic bumper to avoid grounding,Power is run to the horns and then a ground wire is attached to each horn and run back to the original spade fitting! Much better:eek:
    Pics to follow!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Haha. Maybe you will have to put a locomotive horn on your Delica to put things into the proper perspective.

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol i bought a set of air horns from that discount bazzar place in stoon. still havent hooked them up. they have a relay for positive powered horns and all kinds of stuff. just hope they are not too high pitched.

4. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Hmm or big rig air horn???:pop::pop::pop:

5. starpuss

starpuss Member

i got a nice set of air horn off a semi at work , i should mount them on my mini lol.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

7. Stuff99

lol could mount them under the bed facing forwards?

best horn was a friend's dad's impala. it played la cucu racha (sp). which was hilarious to see him hit the horn when he was mad or someone cut him off lol

8. OwenA

OwenA New Member

Horn?

Where is the horn mounted on these little guys?

Mine isn't working and I need to work back from somewhere!

Thanks!

Owen

owen-a@shaw.ca

9. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

On my 90 Carry its right behind the front bumper. !-10mm bolt on the outside center of bumper, 2- 10mm nuts located on the footwells about 5-6" away from lights and poof the bumper is off.
    There are two screws at the very bottom of bumper but I left them in place as a support when I was fartin around with the horns

10. OwenA

OwenA New Member

Thank you

Found the horn was missing. Removed the bumper, found a plug that completed a circuit when the horn was pressed,
    Found a mounting position on the right side that seemed to work,

Thanks Again!

11. Stuff99

lol horn was missing completely? hope you put something good in it's place!

12. OwenA

OwenA New Member

Lol

Canadian Tire ftw, 22.00.

Nipped the ends off the plug... kit even came with crimp on connectors!

13. Stuff99

lol i got one of the 'free way blasters' there once.. ya it made my mini van sound like a kei car!

14. Ravk

Ravk Member

I had a set of truckers horns on another vehicle, a 69 Austin Mini. I had the compressor and small tank under the hood, the horns on the roof.
    Funny thing though, I lost 5 Kph every time I used them.

Robert