1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I've talked to a few Sambar owners and they tell me they all use a bit of oil. I get the sense they don't want to tell me how much.

So let's be honest. What kind of oil do you use, and how much to you burn? How often do you change the oil and filter?

I have a 1994 with 60,000 km on it, and I'm putting about 1 litre through it every 750km. I run High-mileage 10-30. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 - 6,000 km. I know the oil is in good shape ater that mileage (I have had it tested) but I worry about the filter, so I don't push it. Going forward I plan to stock up on filters and change the filter at home every 5,000 but let the oil go to 10,000. Filters cost about $5 and are easy to change, but the shop charges me $80 for a change. Since I'm refreshing the oil regularly I don't see a need to drain it.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If I am correct that's appox. 1 qt for 450 miles? That's on the high side.
    Might go to a 30wt oil and see if that makes a difference.
    Down here in Texas we are off road only, hot, dusty and I tell my guys to change the oil every 4000kms or once a year.