1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how come....

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by spaceagegirl, Mar 2, 2008.

1. spaceagegirl

spaceagegirl New Member

Hi fellow tiny truckers...

How come minivans such as the hijet are not street legal in some of your countries?

And how come they are limited to a certain speed when travelling? have i got that right? I live in the United Kingdom and although not so many people have very small vans (I love to minivan spot hijets, subaru, Rascal etc) they are put to use as cheap to run vehicles by small businesses and people who are fond of them. They don't have a speed restriction, but to be honest as they are not the most aerodynamic of creatures, most people go slow and steady!

[​IMG]

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

OPEN THE FLOOD GATES!

they are illegal & speed limited because we Americans might crash and not be able to vote . thus electing the politicians that are sworn to protect us from ourselves!

OK I'm back up off the floor now.
    a very old quote "first thing kill all the lawyers" : )

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The skinny of it is this for the U.S.:

It is not exactly cut and dry here. The EPA (environmental protection agency) and NHTSA (National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration) who calls the shots for the feds, requires that vehicles driven on U.S. roads meet certain emissions and crash test specifications, to be deemed legal to be sold for on highway use. To be sold for OFF highway use, they do not have to meet any crash standards, and only meet a much less strict emissions standard for sale here. The purpose of governing them to 25 mph, is to insure that they are not put to use on the highways anyway. If the Japanese manufactuers wished to sell Kei vehicles here, they would have to modify them to meet U.S. standards. So far, nobody has stepped up to the plate to certify them for on highway sales in the U.S.

Now, where things get "funny" is, the STATES still hold sovereignty, and likewise can and in a few cases DO override federal guidelines, and institute their own guidelines as to what is deemed a "road capable" vehicle. I live in one, and so long as the vehicle will pass the required emissions TEST in an emissions county, have working lights, horn, brakes, and intact windshield with wipers, they can and do issue a working title and plates. There was a gentleman in Arlington that made the news a few weeks ago, because he literally drives a wheeled APC to and from work. The vehicle had all of the required equipment to be deemed road worthy, along with a 55 mph top speed, so the state issued a title and plates. The tank was old enough to be emissions exempt by state and EPA guidelines.

All that said, once a vehicle becomes old enough to be exempted (25 years) by the EPA, all bets are off, and you can do whatever you want.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice explanation, Wolfman. Sums it up nicely. Oh, and APC = Armored Personnel Carrier I presume?

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yes it does. :D

6. Colin

Colin Member

Link me! I can't find the article. :(

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

8. Colin

Colin Member

Just got kinda-almost-sorta-broadband, actually. Verizon EVDO. :p

9. spaceagegirl

spaceagegirl New Member

about the "crash test specifications"

I can see why the hijet might not pass...in a hijet, your crumple zone is basically your face! Although once you get going on a straight road it's pretty nippy, it's not very aerodynamic (tip; go slooow in high winds) and I guess that's why most drivers will just havta take it steady!

10. billy.dear

billy.dear Guest

why not ride in 1

;)they are legal in MISSISSIPPI you know gods country