1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How close to "E" before you run out of gas?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by cabnfever, Mar 11, 2010.

1. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

Just wondering how close to E i can get b4 the tank is actually empty? Anyone been brave enough to go all the way.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ive sat on E once on way to a gas station. but im not wanting to burn out my injector pump :p

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure but on my Daihatsu I siphoned most of the fuel out of it before I started working on it and I pulled the pump out of the tank and there was about an estimated gallon of gas in there (maybe 3/4 of an inch on the bottom). I was surprised because the gauge is right at the top of the E.

4. cabnfever

cabnfever Member

wow really, so i could run it right down to and still make it to a gas station huh

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I recently picked up five trucks and three of them were dead on MT. I test drove them for about 5 min. then loaded on the trailer with the nose about 4 ft. off the bed. When I unloaded them I started them up and let them idle for sometime till I added treated fuel(with seafoam) to them.
    Yea I agree with greg apox. 3/4 to 1 gal. left when sitting on "E". You will never know till you carry some extra fuel one day and just see where it runs out. I am sure the floats will be pretty close to gauge but you'll never know till you run it out.

6. renchjeep

renchjeep Member

If one does run out of gas, wouldn't that pose a problem in the form of sucking "dirty" stuff from the bottom of the tank into the carb/FI? Lots of sediment gathers in fuel tanks. I never run any of my rides below 1/4 tank, if I can help it. I always change my fuel filters a LOT sooner than recommended. Also, I do not fill up when the tanker is pumping new gas into the gas station tanks, stirring the sediment up. Maybe it doesn't matter, as the fuel pickup always gets it from the bottom of the tank anyway? Old wive's tales? Or superstition? Ideas? Opinions? :confused:

Thanks--Chris

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Think about it, you are running around and fuel is moving side to side washing all around fuel tank. You are already sucking up the dirt and solids in the tank. You are pretty much sucking from the bottom of tank anyway. However the more fuel you have in tank the cooler the electric fuel pump stays. More fuel in tank equals cooler pump. But to get a ideal of how far you can run on "E" is to do it, run it out one time. One time isnt going to hurt anything. I agree 1/4 tank left, fill up.

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

dont wanna play gas station tag with a EFI though... no fuel = no pump coolant/lubing and that = seized fuel pump.