1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad is this rust?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by ApoX, May 26, 2016.

1. ApoX

ApoX New Member

So I got my truck a week ago and I love it. Did a decent visual inspection of things and was a bit shocked at the amount of frame rust, seems roughly the same amount on both sides in the same area. I have a 98 Carry and I've attached so photos of the areas, should I be concerned? Of course I got a billion photos of every little nic and ding in the truck when I was going to buy it, except the worst rusted parts....

IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG

2. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

Yes it is bad. You may have to consider replacing that bad section.

3. ApoX

ApoX New Member

You mean that could be cut out and new steel welded in? I can't amagine getting a new part of a frame.

4. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

You need to get in there with an angle grinder and knock the loose stuff out so you can see what you got.

Looks bad but I don't think it's the end of the world.

5. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

May be able to grind out the bad metal and then fishplate the areas.

Fred

6. ApoX

ApoX New Member

turns out the JDM dealer I dealt with is having it fixed at an autobody shop for me free of charge! will cut, grind out the bad metal and weld in some new plate.

7. Daner

Daner Member

That looks to be the very back of the frame at the rear of the truck? It's hard to tell.

Sounds like you have a very stand up dealer. Would you mind posting their name for posterity?

8. ApoX

ApoX New Member

Once the work is done I'll post about the whole experience

9. Fred

Fred New Member

Looks like peeling paint with some exfoliated metal. I'd wire wheel it to get a true idea of the extent. To me it doesn't look too extensive. Before I cut the frame I'd explore a weld build-up first. Run a few stringer passes and knock them down with a grinder...finish up with a flapper wheel, prime and paint. JMO

10. ApoX

ApoX New Member

Fixed!!! Looks great too, my main man Brian up at B-pro Auto got her all fixed up for me. Here are some photos. image.jpeg image.jpeg

For the guys who were wondering about who I dealt with;

B-pro Auto in Calgary his name is Brian he's a young guy who knows JDM well, travels to Japan to check in often, and deals all over Canada but he's based in Calgary. Give him a shout and tell him Rob sent you (with the Suzuki carry)!

www.b-pro.ca

11. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Looks like that'll work... good deal, and good dealer for taking care of it for you.