1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about blocking the EGR?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Anne Sweeney, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

Its a long debate but anyway do we get any gains if we block EGR's of these little trucks?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Statute of Limitations has long since passed so I can divulge now what I used to do. I worked as a fleet mechanic until 1990 when I retired. On the fleet vehicles with gas engines and EGR Valves would occasionally malfunction(usually stick slightly open thusly bleeding exhaust into the intake all the time and usually caused by small particles of carbon), I would make a thin steel plate the same shape as the mounting surface and seal it with exhaust sealant. Very hard to detect and cured the bad running problems. During those years the different manufacturers tried so many different schemes to meet the Govt mandated emission specs. Some worked well and some not so well. This was my method for dealing with one "solution" that did not work so well.

Fred

3. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

So will it make any noticeable increase in power? I have always thought whatever any steps towards a green engine means taking aways its power.

Freybird likes this.
  4. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

Anne could you explain what an EGR valve is

MyFirstMini1990s83p likes this.
  5. fmartin_gila

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve - allowed a small portion of the exhaust gasses to be introduced into the intake manifold under certain running conditions. Supposedly lowered combustion chamber temperatures and thusly lowered emissions at a small loss of power & efficiency. I don't know if it actually helped with emissions, what I know is that the EGR valve caused a lot of bad running engines and as a fleet mechanic my job was to keep them all running as best I could.

Fred

Anne Sweeney likes this.
  6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I've rebuilt a couple of these F6A engines and one thing you can count on is the bore through the head that the gasses from the EGR pass through will be plugged with carbon. They are just another green feel good doc dad that doesn't work. Mine is blocked off.

Anne Sweeney likes this.
  7. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

so let me get this right. a EGR valve reintroduces exhaust (minimal amount ) back into carb. Through a valve via a metal like pipe. I have this high temp flexible pipe running from exhaust to carb. it is slightly damaged from years and debris. I can block off valve at source and throw away pipe ? This will not affect smooth running in cold temp ?

8. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

That's a whole different deal,it just carries heat to the carb to help in cold weather, the EGR actually takes exhaust gasses and passes them through one more time to supposedly get the last little bit out of them, this theory has lots of skeptics like Fred and I.

9. fmartin_gila

Tony I think (same as Jim) that what you are looking at is the warm air tube. Brings warmed air from around the outside of the exhaust manifold to an air door in the air cleaner housing which activates at lower temps to enhance and quicken the warm up on cold mornings and cold restarts. This kind of corrugated looking flex pipe will be somewhat over an inch in Diameter. Depending on the EGR system & how it is plumbed, it may or may not have a metal pipe to feed the exhaust gasses thru and it will be 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter.

Fred

10. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

thanks for the clarification guys. I am going to have a look for that EGR valve for fun.

11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The EGR, and what does it do, anyways...?
    You should educate yourself, so that you know what it does, and how it does it.

For me, on the 93 Suzuki DD51t, this is a hard plumbed unit. only a vacuum line, off the carb OPENS, and feeds this hot air into the intake plenum. No carb vacuum, and No EGR hot air...

In the summer, it's 35C out there, and I'm boosting up to 14PSI off the charger. Water Meth injection, and a bunch of fans on the block, as well as a secondary rad, and cooling fan activated with "diff-lock" on...
    The last thing that I need, is some hot exhaust gasses injected into the intake plenum. As I'm running down bush roads at 60kph, and boosting through beaver dams, whilst listening to Ozzy, and the AC, is ON...
    Carb vacuum line--Plugged X2.

WINTER; and it's -35C out there, and I need the cab heat on full, at all times.
    I'm moving slow, in first and second gear, clearing snow with the plow,
    Not only has the secondary rad been eliminated, for the season, but I have an aluminum unit tyed to the muffler, to try and capture some latent heat, to inject into the cab, the engine, or where ever it is that I can get it.

EGR--IS ON...

Spaner

Tony Evers likes this.