1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hot lug nuts

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by paulmars, Sep 8, 2019.

1. paulmars

paulmars New Member

The lugs on front wheels my 2003 taca tocoma get very hot. Is this normal? 2.4L RWD, base no options.

77k miles. front bearings cleaned and repacked at 71k.

never noticed this before, but generally I dont touch lugs immediately after driving. So, maybe it's always been like that?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You mention bearings cleaned & repacked. When adjusting the bearing pre-load, cleaned & repacked used bearing sets should be adjusted just a tad looser than new bearing sets. The difference being that the new bearing set will "wear in" as a set and will loosen a very minute amount while doing so. So you could be running slightly tight bearings. That being said, the hubs do run somewhat warm/hot depending on a lot of circumstances (ambient temp, speed, amount of braking, etc). You might jack it up and do a spin test to see how freely they coast down to a stop, keep in mind about brake shoe/pad drag.

Fred

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

x2 on the brake pad/shoe drag. How hot are we talking about?

4. paulmars

paulmars New Member

cant touch for more then 3-4 seconds without burning me.

5. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

take your brakes apart, caliper slide pins are probably seized and causing the pads to drag or you have a seized caliper piston

6. paulmars

paulmars New Member

Both sides?

7. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

It's kind of tough to say if that's even the problem, but you would just have to take the caliper off and you can leave the bracket where it is, to pop off the caliper and check the slide pins and piston to see if they're seized should be quick 30 minutes. I've worked on some cars and trucks where the lug nuts were just hot, especially steel wheels that have not a lot of metal between the wheel and the rotor. Aluminum wheels generally have more space between the wheel and the rotor so the lug nuts are cooler

8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Also check your wheel bearing for any play