Hot breaks

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by aomorisambar, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

aom,
    Think about something! HEAT!!! What causes it? Before, like any first instinct, you would think that the hot wheel, is caused by the brake pads rubbing, hence brake hardware sticking, and not working properly! FRICTION!!! Friction: two pieces of material rubbing together, causing heat! Naturally when we put fluid in a reservoir,(axle housing) it helps to reduce friction, which causes heat, and reduces it! I know that you understand this, and like you said, you'll check it out this wknd.! So if you cant get those so called pins(parts), might be part of the brake part failure causing the pads to stick, and rub, causing a problem. Just a thought. Good Luck!
    Limestone

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Things got very hot when the brakes were hung up.

My first guess is that the heat may have cooked the grease in the wheel bearings, and you are now getting heat because the wheel bearing is dry.

3. Limestone

I thought he said he checked that! I could be mixed up with something else, but that's the first thing you check!!!

4. aomorisambar

aomorisambar Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the bearing on the passenger side. Went to change it the other day but the drive shaft is good and stunk in there... Posted about it in another thread.

5. Limestone

Glad you found it, hope I didn't mislead you!
    Limestone

6. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

Important is the correct tightening torque, otherwise a wheel bearing will fail qickly. About 10 years ago I replaced the wheel bearing on my 1988 BMW E32 750iL, did only have a torque wrench up to max 210Nm, correct tightening torque is 290 Nm (214ft-lb). That bearing lasted 3 months, had to replace it against and then I got the correct torque wrench and that bearing still lasts. http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/front_wheel_bearing/ReplacingFrontWheelBearing.htm