1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda won't start

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by silo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. silo

silo Guest

I have a late 80s Honda Acty that I can't get to run. When it is cold, it will start but only runs for a few seconds and quits.....just like someone turned off the key. Then it will not start again. It will fire, but stumbles and runs really rough and finally dies. I changed the plugs and it did not help. I have checked the cap and rotor and they are fine. It is definily something electrical...but not sure what.....is there an exciter on these Hondas? If so where is it and how to you know if it is bad?

Thanks

2. Are you sure that it's not a partially clogged fuel filter, starving the engine of fuel?

3. BLES

BLES Member

Is it cold where you are? Water in the fuel, then freezing temps will do just that.
    BLES

4. I had trouble with a honda staying running and changed plugs and didnt do a thing. I changed the fuel filter and it was clogged and even with the new filter it ran OK but not great. The tank had to be boiled out due to sooo much dirt and junk in the tank. I think the water in fuel thing could be true as well. Try removing the filter and letting it drain into a clear glass jar or somthing you can see through and see what the fuel looks like. The gas should be on top and any water should be on the bottom of the jar and you should be able to see if there is any water in there. You will also see what kind of dirt and junk is in the fuel as well. Good Luck!

5. silo

silo Guest

It was 78 degrees here today, and it still would not start. It is definitly ignition and not fuel. I can take one of the plugs out and lay it on t a good ground and watch the spark....and as long is there is spark, the engine will run, even on just 2 cylinders, but it does not take long and the spark disappears and the engine dies, then it will not re-start, and there is no more spark. So I know it is electrical. I am thinking the coil or something else electronic, but don't know quite how to troublshoot it.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Get a voltmeter. check the resistances on the low and sides of the coil. Reconnect coil, start the vehicle and let it run till it dies. Disconnect coil and recheck to see if it shows open on one of the sides. If so, replace.