1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Cub Motorcycle 49cc

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by kmoneil, May 25, 2008.

1. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

I need to get one of these. It gets 221 miles per gallon. :cool:

"The venerable Cub is the most successful vehicle in history, a tireless workhorse that gave rise to Japan's dominance in the motorcycle industry and brought affordable personal transportation to millions of people. Fifty years later, it still rolls on"

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/honda-sells-its.html

2. Colin

Colin Member

I like the Ruckus more. :D

[​IMG]

3. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

Back in about 1972, or 1973.. My dad bought me my first bike.. I think I was 12 or 13 years old. It was a 1969 Honda 50 cub.. Black and white.. He bought from a friend who's daughter used for school trans. sort like being with a fat girl..It was fun, and a great bike.. but you didn't wat to be seen on it, and not cool for a 13 year old.. wish I had it now. I have had prob 40 hondas since then..Even a Honda 1100 V twin now, along with a few old Honda Trail 70's still. The under 100cc Hondas are still my favorates.
    Chris

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. Onion Seller

Onion Seller New Member

The First Honda

I remember reading about how honda got into the motorcycle business.What I can't remember is what they did prior to that. After WWII,there was these PALLET LOADS of portable generators for powering radio transmitters on the surplus market. Mr.Honda bought a bunch of them,discarded the generator portion,and mounted the engines on bicycles.

Japan had a serious transportation problem after WWII,and this is was one of the solutions.

I believe that Suzuki and Yamaha started making motorcycles under the same conditions as well. Suzuki made weaving looms and Yamaha made musical instruments.

5. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

Does it come with a fat chick that is equally fun to ride....but don't want anyone to know about? :D

6. Colin

Colin Member

Little update on this thread... I got myself a Ruckus. Picked it up at Honda East in Maumee, Ohio on June 9th. I was heading back from the All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA with my Merkur, so I stuffed it in the back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put 920 miles on it since I got home on June 11th... so that's part of the reason I haven't been around much.

Never thought I could have so much fun at 40 MPH.

Colin

7. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

I used to have one of those Honda passports. it was a " C-70 Passport " in the taxi yellow and white plastic fenders. Learned how to ride a motorcycle with that guy. by the end of its life my sister had ditched it cause of my dad trying to teach her how do drive and was holding on to the throttle handle and ya, crash... then mufflers went and then the wheel bearings, and i don't recall where it went. wish i knew then it gets 150mpg....
    oh and it was a 3 speed automatic with a horn, lights, and electric start (if the battery worked)

8. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i had an old honda trail 90, a lot of fun at low speeds. it does have a reference back to "not wanting your friends to see you on one".. but it was a blast. i used to have an xr50 with a big bore motor, cam and all the go fast stuff. i have never been hurt worse on something so small!!

colin, i like the ruckus, i've had my eye on them for a while... how do you like it? have you had it off road or streets only? ever take the seat off and ride it standing up? btw i love seeing it hanging out the back of the xr4ti

9. Colin

Colin Member

I love it. I mainly just ride on pavement, but I've done a little light offroading with it - grass, dirt roads, somewhat groomed trails in the woods, hard-packed sand, minimum maintenance roads, etc.

Only complaints are:

- shocks/springs are way too soft (but I'm too heavy)
    - stock brakes suck (cable-actuated drums)
    - Too slow! I'm planning on swapping a 150cc GY6 from a Chinese scooter. :D

Haven't ridden it without a seat. I'm not sure that would be comfortable or safe... but I put BMX pegs on either side of the frame so I can hang my legs down out on either side of the seat frame. They're strong enough to stand on, and it's pretty stable with my feet spread that far. Fun to bunny-hop railroad crossings and stuff at 35 MPH. :D

My knees are pretty much on the bars when I put my feet on the floorboard - plus, that's a dorky-*** way to ride. :p

And... uhh... your screenname changed? haha

Colin

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. wainair

wainair Member

Hey Colin, I see you have a ruck as well! I used too but sold it last year. I don't know if you've checked it out but there is a great ruckus forum if you don't get insulted easily, called totalruckus.com. Another great commuity like this one here. Lotsa good ruckus info. You sound like a DIY-er, they have lots of ruck info there. ruckuscentral also has a good group of very technical savy rucksters too. They are a little more straight laced but a good group of guys too.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the parts info for the Subaru. I'm hoping to get a 92 m/t 4wd in August and these part number subsitutes are invaluble to know!

Cheers, Tom

11. Colin

Colin Member

I'm already on TR. ;)