Honda ACTY weird power issue

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by atrain213, Jun 9, 2024.

1. atrain213

atrain213 New Member

Hey all,

So I purchased a 92' ACTY from a friend back in January. He had told me that the engine was shot and that it needed to be replaced. After doing some investigation I learned that the timing belt had snapped, so I took out the engine and have spent the last few months in my free time rebuilding the engine. Two of the valves ended up getting damaged when the belt snapped so they needed to be replaced, but besides that, I didn't change too much. I cleaned up the engine, replaced the spark plugs and gaskets, and put it back in the truck. When I was getting ready to test the engine the other day, I noticed that I wasn't getting any power to the truck. The battery had been charged and I tried a different battery to be sure. The main 45V fuse was not blown, but for some reason, I was getting continuity between the main truck harness (the leftmost wire on the 45v fuse) and battery ground.

After spending a day looking through the electrical system both on the engine and around the rest of the truck, I pulled some fuses and was able to get some accessories like the horn, hazards, wipers, radio, and interior lights to function with the key in either the on or acc position. However, the rest of the electronics (Headlights, Brake Lights, and most of the engine electronics (I am assuming) ) would cause the main harness's power line to be grounded.

I have tried disconnecting every electronic on the engine as maybe I had put something back wrong, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue? I am so close to getting to hear this truck start for the first time, but this electrical system is holding me back and I have spent far to much time trying to debug it.

I'm not sure whether this issuse was pre-existing(the previous owner said he had no issues with it), was caused by the timing belt snapping, was something I messed up putting the engine back in, or some animal got into some of the wiring(no real sign of but could possibly be an option). It is just so weird that some seemingly random electronics work and others are shorted to ground.

Thanks for the help!
    Anthony D.