1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Acty tachometer...

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by unclejemima, Sep 5, 2007.

1. hayseed

hayseed New Member

Next time you have the lid off, could you look and see? Thanks

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I'm going to take a look in the next few nights, I'll snap a pic and take a look!
    -mark

3. There is an easy way to figure out which wire. Use a 12V test light and find the two small wires that go to the coil. When the engine is running one wire will have 12V constant and the other will flicker the test light on and off. This wire is the "trigger" for the coil and is the one you will use for your tach.

4. hayseed

hayseed New Member

Makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

this tach works great...here is the first rpm check at highway speed:eek:

Attached Files:

• 47.JPG
      47.JPG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Hasenwerk

Hasenwerk New Member

I have been to Canadian Tire and Lordco and we are all a little puzzled to which tach is being used. Anyone have a part or model number you can share?

Thanks!!

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

c/p from another thread:

So it looks like you are looking for a Equus brand model # as per above

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

Anyone knows where he connected exactly the tach on the ignition coil? Here is a pic of the ignition coil
    http://www.honda-acty-parts.com/honda-acty-ignition-coil-ha1-ha2-ha3-ha4
    There are 2 white plugs, a smaller one with smaller pins and the larger one has wider pins.

Otherwise I have to use a test light as described above+below in the quote, but easier would be to know the wire color:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. carlosjr56

carlosjr56 Member

I realize this is an old tread, but does anyone have any more picture of where you placed you tach. I am looking for some ideas. I though about get a square digital one and placing it where the clock goes in the middle of the dash. Trying not to do any additional wholes on the dash.

10. carlosjr56

carlosjr56 Member

I used the blue wire from the smaller plug from the coil. That plug has a blue and a black and yellow wire on my 89 Acty. See pictured attached
    Next for me is to make a mounting plate and put it where air vent is to the right of the steering wheel. I will post some more pictures when I am done.

Attached Files:

acguy71 and shogun like this.
  11. carlosjr56

carlosjr56 Member

There is the final install pic

Attached Files:

Adam C Spry and shogun like this.
  12. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

I bought an OEM cluster with a tach from yahoo japan auction through Buyee. I made sure it had the pig tails and am in the process of pinning out the clusters - as there are no diagrams and will do a write up once complete for anyone else willing to try!

OEM looks much better IMO. :)

Attached Files:

13. carlosjr56

carlosjr56 Member

I thought of that, but could find a OEM cluster. Good find! Let us know how it goes. I made sure I didn't do any wholes in case I want to change it later.

14. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

On the Acty can you get the cluster with tach for the 4wd?

On my Hijet the cluster with the tach, seems to have come only on the higher end 2wd vans, and doesn’t have the indicators for the 4wd.

15. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Yahoo Auctions Japan through Buyee is a great place to find OEM parts. Thats where I bought my cluster. Shipped from Japan in just over a week and total cost was around 120$ CAD.

16. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Since the Acty is using the real-time 4wd, there are no lights on the cluster to indicate when its on. All the clusters are the same when it comes to the factory lighting. You just get a tach in most of the van versions - minus the base models and the Acty town truck gets a tach as well. Only downside is its not plug and play and good luck finding a correct wiring diagram. I'm pinning out both factory and new clusters individually. Its...something haha.

17. Jeronimo Gil

Jeronimo Gil New Member

Hello ShaneEM, did you ever get a write up about the cluster and how it goes? I’m trying to do the same swap and I’ve read a few things but there’s one part that has me off because it states that I need an rpm pulse output so my tachometer won’t miss read or bounce around. Can you tell me how you wired everything thank you

18. shogun

shogun Active Member

hope he logs in again here, ShaneEM was last seen: Sep 22, 2020

19. Adam C Spry

Adam C Spry Member Supporting Member

I found this 1995 Acty Town Truck 4wd. 7500 rpm looks like redline as well.

Attached Files:

20. TYPE R TJ

TYPE R TJ New Member

Hey guys, I’m new here but I will be receiving my Acty Town at the end of this month. Let me know if you want any pictures that have to do regarding the factory tach and I’ll do my best to help.

carlosjr56 likes this.
  21. rkasc4

rkasc4 New Member

So... does anybody have a definitive way to hook up a tach? Seems to be some confusion about how to do it. If anyone knows, please share. Thank you!

22. acguy71

acguy71 New Member

i'm waiting for one as well... it has the large harness, but the smaller one is missing, I believe that one I can "work around" hopefully

ShaneEM likes this.
  23. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

Ok. Sooo I got the tach (HH3) hooked into my 97 (HA4). Was about 99% done - all I needed was to figure out the engine temp and fuel gauge when I must have shot too much power to something and burnt out the tach .

I will make a separate post detailing the process and maybe some of you can figure out the rest haha. Haven't decided if I'm going to get another cluster as it was 170$ shipped from Japan.

Stand by for post!​

24. ShaneEM

ShaneEM New Member

FYI to everyone in this thread, I've started a new thread and uploaded a PDF document on how to swap in the HH3 cluster to the HH4.

Adam C Spry and ThxAlotObama like this.
  25. coffeemaker

coffeemaker Member

Unclejemima, how did you route your wires through the dash to the surface mounted tach?

26. shogun

shogun Active Member

27. pass1over

pass1over Member

The tach get's hooked to the solid blue wire. There is one underneath the dash regardless if your truck came with a tach or not. It should be the only solid blue wire under the dash. If you have AC, there is also a blue wire going to the module for it underneath the drivers seat.

The blue wire comes off the coil, so if you really want to, unplug it and use it to run a continuity check. I had to unbolt the coil to get to it.

For the Diff Lock light issue .... the tach clusters from the vans have a PS light for their electronic power steering. If you want an indicator for your diff lock, just wire it into this light instead of the diff lock light that's on your original cluster.

This info is for the 6 and 16 pin cluster swap. NOT the 6 and 12 pin cluster.
    There is an extra 12V power wire (yellow IIRC) that will not be used on the swap, I just plugged it into one of the unused spots on the 16 pin cluster.

installater likes this.
  28. installater

installater Active Member

Thank you pass1over do you happen to have any pictures of the pigtails with the wiring installed
    I have the same 16-6 cluster without pigtails but bought some honda wiring clusters that fit both
    and have no clue where to start
    Regards
    Brian