1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Acty Prop Shaft front boot

Discussion in 'Honda Acty References' started by vtg, Jun 14, 2011.

1. vtg

vtg Member

While doing some work on my Acty, I noticed the front rubber boot on the propeller shaft had failed badly and was ripped completely through all the way around. I called my supplier and he did not have any new ones in stock. He looked at several used prop shafts he had in stock and they were all ripped as well. So, it appears this must be a bit of a weak part.

The original boot is a really weird design unlike a normal CV boot. I wish I'd taken a pic of it before I disassembled it so that you could see exactly what the original boot looked like, but I forgot to snap a pic until after I installed a different type of boot. The original boot had the big end sort of molded into a metal flange which bolted to the front housing part of the shaft. I cut the inner remains away from this metal flange and found a CV boot which would fit over the OD of the flange and with a small end that fit nicely over the prop shaft. The boot I used is from a Polaris ATV and the Polaris part # is 3260113.

I see no reason why this should not work and suspect it may stand up better than the original. However, I have not had a chance to try the truck out yet because I am still waiting for a couple other things for the engine before I get it back on the road. I'll keep a close eye on this boot for the first few hundred miles or so to make sure it's going to work. If any issues develop with it, I'll update this post. Here's a couple of pics showing the Polaris boot in place.

Note that the black metal part you see on either side of the gold coloured retaining ring is part of the original boot. My fix involved clamping the big end of the CV boot over top of this area whereas the original boot was molded into the inner circumference of the black metal part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Where there's a will......excellent Mcguyvering...not sure if that's a word..but it is an apt descriptor :)...should be a sticky in the honda section

3. vtg

vtg Member

Thanks, Fupabox.....I just hope my fix works well in the long term. I can't wait to get my Acty back on the road again, but am still waiting for a v/c gasket and a rear diff seal that were shipped in the mail yesterday. Turned on the radio this morning to hear Canada Post has declared a lockout so it might be awhile til I get the rest of the parts I need.

4. I just bought a '92 Acty, and my u joint near the transmission is bad. This thread will help me get it down and changed.

Thanks for the info.

5. Jakester

Jakester Member

u-joint

I just replaced my u-joint next to the trans and it is a common part to CR-Vs
    Its a Precision #410. According to my mechanic friend, driveshafts on CR-Vs are made to throw away and buy the whole shaft for $600. One can replace the u-joint for $25.

6. Got mine put back on last night. Cost me $100 for the joint and to put it in the shaft.

I learned that the shaft fits back on the truck in only one position. Once I figured that out, it was really easy to install.

7. Jakester

Jakester Member

I got my new wheel bearings (sealed) on the right side. The old ones came rather easily with just a couple of taps with long punch. The new ones went in with a little help and a good sized hammer.

I got it all back together and I still have some snapping coming from the same side. I think the inner cv joint is bad, the one next to the trans. A retired Honda mechanic I know said he could feel some play in the joint when I showed it to him. My question is do I have to replace the whole shaft or can that joint be rebuilt? I have an email in to Gorilla axles asking that question.

I am getting pretty good taking the axle out and putting it back?

8. From what I know, the cv joints can be rebuilt. I am in the process of ordering the 2 rear outer cv joints for my truck. I don't know if the inners are bad, but I'm pretty sure the outers are bad.

Is this work you are doing on the front or rear?

9. Jakester

Jakester Member

the work I am doing is on the right rear. Where are you getting the parts to rebuild?

10. I spoke to a local mini truck dealer today and he suggested that I don't need to change the CV joints yet. Mine are only clicking when I back up, and not when I go forward. So, since I am using this truck only for off road, and will put maybe 50 miles a year on it, I will hold off for a while on changing the CV joints.

11. vtg

vtg Member

I now have about 500 km on my Acty since I installed the Polaris CV boot on the front end of my prop shaft. I crawled under the truck today to see how the boot is standing up and it looks to be in great shape. I expected that if there would be a problem using the CV boot, it should show itself within a very short time. So it appears this fix is going to work out well.