1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Acty DOT headlamp conversion question.

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by frostback, Aug 26, 2007.

1. frostback

frostback Member

I'm looking for information about finding LHD replacement headlights for a Honda Acty. I've been sticking to models with round or rectangular headlights, but it would be nice to not be so restricted. I do see them on the street here in Canada so I know it is doable. Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I don't believe the Acty has ever been available in LHD countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Acty I somewhat doubt, therefore, that they ever made LHD-pattern headlights. :( I betcha the folks you see driving around with Actys (Acti?) probably are just using the stock ones. But, hey, I've been wrong before! :)

One idea I've had if you're really serious about having some proper (and I mean PROPER!) lighting would be to retrofit in a projector style lamp, even HID, from a LHD vehicle. Say, an Audi or something. These do not use the headlamp's reflector. Besides ebay, there is HIDPlanet and HIDTech for instance. This would, however, only really work on headlamps that don't use the lens for aiming the light pattern. I haven't seen one up close but the Acty looks like it has a clear lens. Hope this helps.

3. frostback

frostback Member

I didn't think there was a LHD Acty. I figured that someone had found a suitable replacement maybe from another vehicle. I'm not trying to achieve better lighting just want to make it streetlegal DOT or E1 stamp required. From what I've seen they appear to have fluted lenses. These lenses are what creates the RHD beam pattern. Projector HIDs would work if I remove the stock lamps altogether and fabricate a mounting plate to fit the stock opening. I was hoping for a simpler solution. Thanks for the ideas though.

Derek

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, no doubt a lot of fabrication would be involved with a projector. And, as you say, if it's got a fluted lens it ain't gonna work well anyhow. :(

5. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

My 91 Honda Acty (purchased in canada) came with a H4 sealed beam conversion, the owner had to cut into the headlight housing to install them. It cost about $500 to get done, and doesn't look pretty, but it gets the job done. Apparently this is a new rule, the good ol' DOT had their way, and any new Acty's need this done or wont pass inspection...not to say you cant put the factory lights back after you pass inspection, but i think the aiming is all wrong because of the RHD.
    -mark