1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade battery cover - $7 plus tax

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by doraville, Jan 29, 2009.

1. doraville

doraville New Member

I've been thinking about how to cover the battery on my '98 Suzuki. I had a situation recently where my battery was so covered in mud that it drained the battery (must have created a path to ground).

Anyway, I was at Tractor Supply recently when I spotted a feeder tray that was the right size and color, so I picked it up. A few cuts with a coping saw later, and my battery is now completely covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next time I'm at Home Depot I'll pick up a black bungee strap to replace the ugly blue one.

Peace,
    -Doraville

2. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Slick idea... should help keep it out of the muck.

How's that new rumble seat??? ;)

3. doraville

doraville New Member

The rumble seat was a snap to install. The weather hasn't permitted me to take any riders yet...

-Doraville

4. Tovel

Tovel New Member

Does that cover keep the mud out? To me it looks like the back corners could still let it in where you notched it for the cables. I have had the same problem, the mud piles up on top, or worse the much in the winter time with salt, nearly corroded one cable off on me.

5. doraville

doraville New Member

Surprisingly, it does keep the mud out. I think it's because all of the mud is coming from the tires and not from under the truck. I could have gooped silicone around where the cables come through if it was a problem though.

Depending on your model of truck and how the battery cables come in, you might need to notch yours a little differently.

Peace,
    -Droaville