Hijet wont start.

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Dmorency, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

My little hijet was stored for the winter. I started it up a couple of weeks ago but didn't drive it. Everything was fine. Last week I wanted to take it for its first ride of the spring, but couldn't get it to start. The distributor had a lot of corrosion. cleaned everything but could only get the motor to "poof", and a couple of times catch fire. (I had the breather off) Ordered and changed a new distributor, rotor, wires and plugs. Same thing only a couple of "poofs" now and again.:frustration::frustration:
    Anything else that would give these symptoms? Thanks:confused::confused:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

try some starter fuid in the carb intake...a squirt of gas is better...if it fires up the carb is gummed up...if not you may have a rats nest in the muffler ...have you checked for spark?

3. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Will I finally got the time to check my truck again this morning.
    Check the spark that was good.
    Cut off the muffler. Still only poof when trying to start.
    Switch #1 and #2 plug wire then it would run on #2 plug, switch #1 and #3 and now it will run. The only thing there isn't much power.
    What I want to know now is what plugs are #1 2 and 3. Is #3 closest to the fan #2 in the middle and #1 closest to the transmission?

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

firing order is 1 2 3 ...#1 cylinder is at the front of the engine 2 middle 3 transmission end at the back..the cap should be marked but if not take off the rubber plug on top of the transmission bellhousing right behind the carb...the timing marks are under there ...turn the engine to tdc and then the rotor under the cap will be pointed to the #1 post on the cap

5. Dmorency

Dmorency New Member

Thanks Fupabox, thats the order I have. The truck now runs but I don't have any power. I have to gear right down to go up grade.
    Maybe I need to adjust the distributor?

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The carb. will not go out of adjustment by sitting there for the winter. Although it might gum up. Very few times its the adjustments on carb.
    Might have gotten it out of time when messing with dist. cap? Trash in carb.? Fuel filter? Air filter? Maybe fuel pump? Bad gas?