1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet will not start

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by pairofhounds, Nov 1, 2011.

1. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Hi, I have something that maybe you can help me out with. got an 89 hijet. aside from carb issues it was running fairly well untill today.driving up an incline when it lost power and then shut off on its own. Cranked it back up with not much trouble and continued in 2nd gear hi. Had it floored and the rpms not building. Seemed to clear up and then died. Try to crank but nothing. Makes a different noise while cranking like its not catching or lost compression. Also needs a water pump.. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Hi, if you didn't boil the water out of your engine or if radiator is still full then the water pump is not related unless it is locked up and dragging on the engine. I always suspect water in the fuel,carb,tank if I loose power and runs bad after a hill climb. Water moves around and can get sucked up under those conditions. Does it run with starting fluid? An old trick for starting diesel engines works with these too and is easier on the engine, pour small amount of gas on a rag and cover the carb with it while you crank, just be careful. If it starts OK with starting fluid then I would look for water in the float bowl, We need more info like spark and starting fluid results and how old is your cam belt, did it jump time, etc? When you say try to crank but nothing, to me that means it didn't turn over at all, is that what you mean or do you mean it didn't start? Lost compression is nothing like not starting. No compression will be faster cranking because of no drag on starter. tom

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Starter is whining could the bell to have slipped climbing up an incline

4. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

I am leaning towards the timing being off but don't know why it would shut off at half speed

5. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Please explain whining starter, dosent turn over motor, dosent engage at all or what? Can you do a compression test? A timing belt can slip at any time! Take timing belt cover off and check the timing marks.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

When I bump the key in gear it will lunge forward. Starter turns with zero resistance. Thanks for your input! Keep it coming

7. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

ok then, the motor does turn over it just wont start. You have to check the timing belt next.

8. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Could the belt have slipped going up the incline? How do I go about checking the
    Timing? Just seems the starter has no resistance in neutral

9. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

I assume the belt that is visible is called the v belt? 4 the alternator and water pump etc cetera

10. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Could a failing water pump ,probably a dumb question, be the culprit? It has been leaking pretty bad

11. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Can the timing belt actually break? Sorry for all the questions and imperfections? Don't have internet access and using phone internet

12. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Yes it can break or loose some teeth and get off timing. Its under the other belt and under a cover. Remove cover and look at belt, this is probably an interference engine so you might have bent a valve if it is off timing. Someone else needs to tell you how to time properly caus I dont have that with me now. If you see its off timing DONT try to turn it over with the starter until you know the timing is right again with a new belt! tom

13. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Any advice on how to check the valves for breakage or bending I just got this truck and I'm still pretty green

14. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Just make sure the timing is right and then try to start it. If it runs ok then ur good but if it is weak then remove main spark plug wire and crank, if starter makes all same sounding compression strokes then your probably ok but if it makes 2 strokes and 1 that sounds different (usually faster) then you have a bent or burned valve. This is a good fast way to test any engine for a burned or bent valve. You can use a compression tester as well. You should be able to search the forums for timing procedure. tom

15. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

So basically if the timing gets off there is a good chance a valve got damaged or could I be ok

16. Wildman

Wildman New Member

If it is out of time, it is possible for the valves to be open on compresion stroke. Also i would stay away from starting fluid because it will kill your rings.
    Check your timing then your compression on all cylinders. If you dont have equal compresssion across the cylinders then its time to pull the head.

17. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

The answer to your question is yes on the valves, and starting fluid is not good for your engine but I still use it and thats why old timers use gas on a rag over carb intake, its easier on the engine. Remember that an instant valve test is the starter noise, is it even on all 3 cylinders as it turns over or is there 1 that sounds faster than the rest. The starter noise pitch is a good test for valves. tom

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  18. Wildman

Wildman New Member

Yes the gas on the rag is alot better. It even works great on diesel engines. From my experience if you use ether or starting fluid it will get to where it wont start without it. We have farmed and had heavy equipment for about 32
    Years and we ruined some nice equipment and trucks when we started out.

19. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Yea, diesel is the best because it gives you some running time.

20. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Having trouble getting the crank pulley off

21. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Is there reverse threads by any chance

22. Wildman

Wildman New Member

Do you have the bolts out yet? If so you may have to heat it a little.
    Not sure about mini's but on some of our new engines we have to heat the dampener then tighten the bolts down for a force-fit. If you haven't got the bolts out they may be torque-to-yield bolts and very tight.

23. Wildman

Wildman New Member

24. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Broke my 18mm box end wrench on it... anyone know if it is reverse threads underneath it now so let me know thanks y'all!

25. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Got it... timing belt is broken... now what?

26. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Hope you didnt bend a valve and put a new belt on.

27. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Should I manually be able to turn the crank by hand?

28. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

The alignment marks are of a tad bit

29. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

yes , just dont force anything, if it hits turn the cam some, real easy tho.

30. pairofhounds

pairofhounds Member

Just pulled the valve cover and valves appear to be straight. I guess I will wait for my timing belt to come in and check compression... still having a hard time getting my timing marks lined up. By rotating the camera in correct position should I be able to move the crank by hand?