1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet transmission oil level check

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Hijet Brayden, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Hijet Brayden

Hijet Brayden New Member

Hi I have a quick question where would I be able to fine the transmission oil level check at?

thanks Brayden

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

If you have a manual transmission, there is a plug on the side used for both filling, and checking the fluid levels. It is supposed to be level with the bottom of the fill hole, air with in 2-mm below it. Basically fill it up, give it a bit to drain out excess, and put the plug back in.

Be careful what gear lube you use. The EP or extreme pressure additives in GL5 can destroy the the shift forks, synchronizer rings, and other components with “yellow metal” in them. GL4 which is ok to use, is getting hard to find, because the manufacturers have all been specifying their own proprietary gear lubes.

Som e of the GL5 will say that it is safe for yellow metals, and you can use that. Another alternative, might be one of the newer synthetic automatics transmission fluids. And some of eh synthetic gear lubes would also be oK. Just be sure they say they are safe for yellow metal.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Juju1187 and Limestone like this.
  3. Hijet Brayden

Hijet Brayden New Member

thank you that very much helps.

Brayden

4. EastALHiJet

EastALHiJet New Member

Bumping this old thread - I'm about to replace the fluids on my new-to-me Hijet s83P. Can someone confirm that the places i've marked are the correct fill/drain plugs for the transfer case, front differential, and transmission? The transmission especially has me guessing between 3 possibilities.
    Also, if my transfer case looks a little different than usual, this is a PTO model with the generator:

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I think the mystery plugs are actually covering springs and detent balls, which are part of the shifter. “The ones you showed as teh fill and drain plugs are hte ones you use to drain and refill, or check fluid levels in the transmission and transfer case.

Hemogoblin likes this.
  6. EastALHiJet

EastALHiJet New Member

Thanks. I'll keep looking on the transmission to see if there are other suspects and i'll post a picture. I was specifically trying to avoid accidentally pulling out detents, so what you said is most helpful.

7. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

This is incorrect. The mystery 1 and 2 are drain and fill on the transmission. You have to drain both, then fill 1.95L starting with the the transfer case fill port. Then put the rest into the transmission fill port.

If you drain just the transfer case you are only getting half the fluid out.

Mystery 3 is a bellhosing bolt.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024