1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiJet starts but wont stay running

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Reagan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Reagan

Reagan New Member

I bought this 1990 Hijet last weekend and I am just diagnosing everything. IT runs when I spray some starter fluid in the carb intake. But then sputters out. Checked the fuel pump and that seems to be working fine. What I have found so far is many vacuum lines that are cracked and need replaced. I also took the carburetor off and bought a rebuild kit for it. I'm assuming the carb just is all gunked up and is not allowing fuel to freely flow through. Any other ideas or things for me to check would be greatly appreciated.

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Go to your signature and tell us what you have

3. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Okay, I updated it. Thanks for letting me know

Limestone likes this.
  4. Limestone

It sound like a good starting point with the visual inspection and then you can eliminate those items while your troubleshooting.
    So if you think about it your not getting fuel. After the Start fluid is burned she still won't Run. Needs fuel Naturally.
    I think your making a good start there and then once you get it running you can move on.

Limestone

5. Reagan

Reagan New Member

So far I have gotten it running. It runs very rough and hardly idles. It will rev up very high upon start up(I saw that this is normal until it clicks down to idle). I can manage to drive it and it runs if I'm using the gas peddle(runs rough). But as soon as I stop it will turn off.

6. Limestone

There's several older post's describing the Same problems as I've gone through it myself!
    Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and replace the Carb. with a manual choke Mikuni or a few good others here on the Forum.
    Believe me when I tell you these Carbs. just are way over complicated for these little units and several have already found out and Switched!
    Limestone

Reagan likes this.
  7. Reagan

Reagan New Member

hey man, so I bought the carb and installed it today. It wouldn’t idle. It would only run when I would feather the throttle just perfectly. Or have the choke all the way on which would make it rev up super high. Also, the hot(red) wire going to the distributor cap was sparking the whole time. Am I missing something? Is there something broken on my truck I don’t know about that’s causing it to not run? Or is it just me not setting the carb up right? What am I missing?