1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet scissor lift

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Jim pecoraro, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Thanks. Getting there.

2. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Today's progress. Got the bed mounted to the scissor frame. Had problems with the bed hitting the back of the truck cab when in the lift mode. Was ok in the dump mode.
    Had to trim the bed back some. There's no way to put to rack back on, unless I mount it on bed instead of the back of the cab. Didn't get the chance to try it with the bed sides on. Hope it doesn't open another can of worms. Still have to Fab the forth bed side and cut out the rear tail lights

Attached Files:

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got things a bit too far forward.

On my truck, and I think all of the dump, and pick/tipper beds, there is a panel which bolts onto the front of the bed, and the rack is integral to that front panel. I’d pull mine and post pictures, except with the tonneau cover mounted up it will be a major undertaking.

Hopefully Limestone can come in and confirm.

4. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

5. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have it mounted to far forward, because there is no choice in where it mounts. The cross member in the rear with the pivot has to be where its at. The tube goes through the frame on both sides. The pivot points determine where the scissor frame sits.
    The mounting points on the scissor frame determines where the bed sits. There really no choice.
    I think the problem is the tippers may have a different style bed to accommodate the lift motion.
    On mine , the back of the cab actually bumps out,so the bed is in farther than back of the cab. So there's no way the bed
    Could lift straight up without hitting the cab.
    Hopefully limestone can jump in with a picture of panel and the rack.
    Thanks jim

6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Sounds like your on top of the problem with the tippers having diff. style beds! If the mounting point is correct, and your saying it's the same, then, it's pretty much a given! Two choices! Either change the mounting point, or rework the front for more clearance! What's the least evasive? I'd help with pic's, but it's up in the air, blocked up, as I'm working on a few things as it sits! Now's the time to get creative, and possibly customize it, as far as the front end of the bed goes, if you wish! Looking at your pic, I agree, it looks, centered, or mounted properly, (look at the fenders), just maybe a longer bed! Sounds like the easiest thing is to chop the front of the bed off. I would take into consideration, other future plans, and or possibilities that you might be thinking, down the rd., as I was saying earlier!
    Limestone

7. Limestone

Jim,
    I was able to snap a couple pics, I hope it helps! IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1471.jpg The measurement from the cab to the bed,(the furthest point sticking out foreward), is 2 1/2 inches! Back from there is 2 1/4 inches, to the frame! I hope this helps!
    Limestone

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

9. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Hey guys
    I did end up chopping some the front of the bed. Limestone , thanks for pics and measurements. I'm pretty close to those measurements now. I made a front for the bed. I have some stainless steel sheet metal to fill it in with. I tacked on the tabs for the latches. Also tacked on the headache bar to the top of it.
    Getting there

Attached Files:

10. Limestone

That's the beauty and the fun of these things! Do it the way that you want it, kinda personalizing it, if you will!

11. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Got the interior switches installed.
    Put a rubber flap by unit for protection.
    Mounted a small box to house the remote switch . Pretty much done with the project. Thanks guys for all the help. Really came through. Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

12. Limestone

Nice job Jim! Looks nice!

13. Jigs-n-fixtures

Just one comment, mostly as a warning, because I think you want to plow with it.

On mine there is a drain on the bottom of the motor for the pump, which got the road splash from the front wheel on it. And, since they salt the roads much of the winter, I ended up with quite a bit of corrosion inside the motor.
    92655069-A7E6-4571-90DD-E9228BC21F77.jpeg
    I got it all cleaned up, and working again. And replaced the duckbill drain that was on it, with a 1/4-inch nipple, and ran a hose to the vacuum line by the vacuum canister for the axle lock, and transfer case. Seems to have solved the problem.

Just a potential problem you should be aware of.

looks good.

14. Limestone

Jig's,
    That's more good info! More preventative maintenance! I like it! Yeah, I noticed so much corrosion under mine in areas that I'm going to, try to prevent as much of that stuff as possible! Much of the thin rubber that acted, as mud, and debris flaps, underneath, were, either torn off, discarded during repairs, or just plain ripped off! I'll replace them and, get creative adding more!
    Limestone

15. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

That looked pretty gnarly. Surprised you got it working . Thanks for the heads up.
    I do use it for plowing, so its a good thing to keep an eye on.

Attached Files:

16. Limestone

Something that I forgot to include, as a benefit, with my Hydraulic scissor lift, is that, when the unit isn't running, for whatever reason, won't start, breaks down, whatever. I am able to use a portable, cordless, drill, with a socket on it, and by placing the socket on the nut, in front of the centrifugal clutch, on the, front of the pump. I can raise the scissor lift bed, or, put the bed in dump mode, and dump the bed for easier access to the motor, like Jig's mentioned, as a benefit with these things, besides what they were intended for! It really is a plus when working on these things extensively, for a while like I have been doing!
    Limestone

17. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

That's the main reason I went with a electric pump instead of a belt driven
    I can use it without the motor running
    Figure if I'm ever using the scissor lift as a scaffold that I wouldn't have to have the engine running .

18. Limestone

Yeah, that's true! When I was fixing some overhead lights in the high bay in the shop. I would keep the exhaust fan on overhead, and run myself up to the desired height, and then with the remote, cut the motor off,(so I didn't have to breath the fumes), and when I needed to come down, I would simply lower myself with the remote, (engine off), and I wasn't draining the battery, and the motor was off! When I needed to go back up, I would simply repeat the process! Pretty convenient! Weather it's Electric, or gas powered hyd. pump! I am glad that this unit has the scissor lift option!
    Limestone

19. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

I wanted to thank everyone who replied on this thread. I really appreciate the information that was shared. Especially the pictures that were shared. It really help the process of converting my hijet to a scissor lift. I'm done with the lift and it works great. I sprayed the bed and body with raptor liner. I think I done for this year. Maybe some bigger rims and tires

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  20. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jim, thanks for checking back in. Some pictures of the final product might be helpful to the next guy who wants to try it.

21. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Yes, that makes sense. I'll post some

22. Limestone

You betchya Jim! Lookin good! It's always nice when a plan comes together!

23. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Yep

Attached Files: