1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet scissor lift

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Jim pecoraro, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Mine have the advantage of extending far enough to lift all four wheels off teh ground. Really handy, when i switch from the studded tires to the summer ones.

2. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

I can see where that can come in handy
    What kind of studded tires are you running? Are they dot approved or a atv tire? I use my mini to plow snow , but just have m&s tires on it.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

When I was first setting up the truck I bought three sets of 14X6 wheels, and mounted some ATV tires on one set, and some 165/75R14, mud and snow tires, on the other two sets, with one of the sets studded. Both of these sets are DOT certified

The Salmon-Challis National Forest boundary is less than a mile from the house, and if I’m headed out onto the Forest, I’ll swap on the ATV tires.

4. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

You went with larger rims, that's why you could find tires. All I could find for mine were Toyo open county M&S. They were not cheap

5. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Got the pump in and I need a new fitting. The small end of the black fitting goes in the pump, the tappered end of the brass fits on the hose. but I don't have a clue on thread sizes . I would like to take the fittings somewhere , but the whole social distancing thing going on . The fittings do seem cheap enough

Attached Files:

6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Jim,
    What your trying to do is correct. The so called tapered fitting is what we call a J I C fitting! To explain, it simply fits snugly against another tapered fitting, male to female if you will, and that seals itself from leaks! It's been around for yrs. in hydraulic fittings! The other looks like a flat faced fitting, which requires an "O" ring on the other fitting that matches up! You can see on the 90 degree,(elbow) fitting, that the end without the so called taper, is what's called a pipe thread, and if you look closely, that is, slightly tapered, to seal the fluid out as, it is tightened! Don't panic! Fittings like this are mixed and matched, so to speak, every day! So, the easiest way, is if you can go to a hydraulic hose shop, or a place like that, and take your fittings, and explain what your trying to do, and in a matter of minutes, a professional, with this experience will be able to help you out! I do realize the problems, with Covid 19, and what's going on ,currently, it becomes a problem!
    Limestone

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  7. Limestone

Jigs,
    Now you've gone and done it! You've got me thinking about adding some, portable stabilizer's of some kind! I'm thinking of possibly, making some, slide on, (sleeved if you will), attachment's that were portable! Heck, I might never get this thing out of the SHOP! LOL!!!
    Limestone

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

The factory trucks with the lift utilized the cross tube that the rear pivot bushings for the lift are welded to. It’s about a 1-1/4-inch diameter pipe that goes all the way through the frame rails, and is welded into both sides of each frame rail. It also has the spare tire and fuel tank mounts welded onto it. 708BFB46-A23F-4E0D-BBF2-DEF11A6CD566.jpeg These are the stock outriggers. The tubing is 1-11/32-OD, or 34-mm. Which is close to 1-inch pipe OD. Within a couple of hundredths. The little jack screws would probably be fine if you were on level ground, and just needed to stabilize things. But were completely worthless if you wanted level the truck up before lifting. They were about a foot longer stock, but I cut a foot off to use in the ugly bumper’s mounting system.

If either of you guys want to give a try to building outriggers out of 1-inch pipe, I have the factory mount clips for the outriggers, sitting outside, and could ship them to you. I think they will fit in a small priority mail box.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. Limestone

Jig's,
    Thanks for the info. I'm good, fortunately, I have access to a lot of material, and resources with different kinds of fabricating technologies and experience, that I've kept in contact with, my whole life. I know it wouldn't take much to stabilize these things as needed, but I kinda have a different idea in my scrambled head if I'm gonna do it! By the way I have to say , I do love the pic. with the scissor raised, and Smoky the Bear in it the bed! Pretty neat!
    Limestone

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

We have an annual parade of lights, the Friday evening after Thanksgiving.

The years my buddy stays home, and doesn’t got out of town: He, his two grandsons and I decorate it up, and get the Smokey Costume, and a couple boxes of “Smokey Frisbees” form work. He rides in the back, and throws the frisbees to the kids on the sidewalk. A good time is had by all.

And, bonus: It’s cold enough you don’t need the ventilation fans in the costume. It’s made of foam, and the fire guys who wear it for 4th of July, and the County Fair almost get cooked in it.

Limestone likes this.
  11. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Thanks for that explanation. I didn't know that end was called a JIC fitting. Good to know. I did know that piping fittings are tapered and get tighter the more they are screwed in . I have heard the term bspp, but I don't know what's that about
    I'm very tempted to go to the hydraulic shop to get the fitting, but it would be one more person I would have to be in contact with. I much rather order one online, but don't know the proper sizes. Dam virus

12. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

I would definitely like to see what you come up with, if you ever get around to doing it.
    Jim

Limestone likes this.
  13. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

That does sound like a fun time.
    I'm sure the kids get a big kick out of it
    How is it being up in the lift with the truck moving? Is it wobbling ?

Limestone likes this.
  14. Limestone

Not if your on flat ground, moving slowly! Remember, it's a show for the little kids, and the big kids! It's not a race! lol Jig's, with what you were saying' about the tube that attaches to the frame, at the rear. I can see where that would be a good stabilizing point to start with! Yeah, still chewin on it! lol!
    Limestone

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

The stock outriggers were a little short after I installed the lift. Which is part of why I went with the ugly bumpers.

But i did utilize the cross tube in teh frame as part of mounting the bumper. The cross tube welded into both sides of both frame rails is about as solid as anything on the vehicle.

Limestone likes this.
  16. Limestone

Jig's,
    They might not be the most attractive, of bumpers, but they are very practical! Yeah, as you know, wider is always more stable! All depends on what your plans are, and what you plan on doing! They are a good idea though. If I'm way back in the woods, on my hunting property, in PA., and I want to go up as high as it will go, and the wind picks up, It will be very assuring to know that I have this unit stabilized, just in case! Error on the side of caution.
    Limestone

17. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Are you guys ready for a few more questions? Like always I really appreciate any help you can offer.
    Today I mounted the cylinder. Im going to mount the pump and the box that holds the remote switches next. I didn't like the pump I order. 6 quart seems too big. I order a replacement tank at 3 quarts. Waiting for that to come in.
    But I was wondering if I could see how and where your pump and box is mounted.
    Jigs, I know you have ac , so you have the electric pump. Limestone , I not sure
    Of your setup. Do you have a belt driven
    Pump?
    I really guilty about drilling holes into the frame for mounting purposes.

Attached Files:

18. Limestone

Jim,
    I have a belt driven pump, on mine! To me that's the easiest way for you to go. A belt driven pump, has to be placed in line with the pulley, off the front of the motor, to operate properly. This will dictate how you mount, and install your pump. Then from there you can determine where to mount your tank, close by, and determine how long a hyd. hose you need to run from the pump, to the hoist cyl., and so on. Remember, some things are a given, like, @1 you know where the hoist cyl. has to be! #2 you can see where you have to mount the pump, using a belt to work off the front of the motor. From there, you place the hyd. fluid reservoir, wherever you can make it work in your system, and install your hoses according to installation! I took a couple of pics to try to help explain, mine! The top left silver pulley is the pump! Left of that is the hyd. tank, the way I got mine! Place yours, as conveniently as possible to make it easier, not only as far as installation, but also for service, to get to the cap on the hyd. tank, and think ahead as far as whatever else you have in mind for your mini! That's the beauty of doing it yourself!
    Don't be afraid to ask, that's the reason for the forum!
    Limestone

Attached Files:

19. Limestone

You know as I think about this, take a look and see if there isn't a provision for a pump. Mine fits like a glove like it's supposed too! Damn HONEY WHISKEY! Got me thinkin over time! lol!

20. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Hey limestone
    Thank for the reply. I have the belt driven pump, but I could not find the bracket that holds the pump. So that's why I decided to go with an electric pump

Attached Files:

21. Jigs-n-fixtures

mine is electric and mounts just in from of the batttery, and you’re headed in the right direction with the smaller reservoir. To figure out how much volume you need, take half the the diameter of the ram, Square that and multiply it by Pi, to get the area, and then multiply the area by the cylinder stroke length, to get the cylinder volume. then double that.

I’ll send pictures of how mine is mounted tomorrow. The pump is mounted with a clamp which goes around the frame rail, about where the air Port is in your picture.

22. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

That's where I was thinking about mounting mine also. I figured it would keep the cables to the battery short. But the hose coming off the cylinder is pointed towards the right of vehicle.
    The hose would have to be routed to the right then back to the left of the vehicle.
    Don't know if it's long enough

23. Limestone

Jim,
    Not that it will help, but your diagram is what mine came with! I agree with Jig's on the hyd. oil volume!
    Limestone

24. Jigs-n-fixtures

Ok, here are a few pics of how my electric unit is mounted:
    5DBFB45A-B05F-448C-AD1C-622156ADE2AD.jpeg
    The pump and reservoir are mounted to a plate, which is held onto the frame with four bolts which go above and below the frame, with another plate on the back side of the frame.

4D05EF40-8FF5-4036-9A9C-F9FC13D442F4.jpeg
    34E0172A-2469-4EF8-A923-5465F79DA2F8.jpeg
    F5219D4B-CF69-4FF6-B776-731428B46460.jpeg
    AE336F05-17CF-44B6-9775-26115CFA82A0.jpeg

25. Limestone

Jigs,
    Looks like a nice compact unit all in one! pretty convenient, and simple!
    Limestone

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  26. Jigs-n-fixtures

Actually, I think the pump could mount on a either side. On mine, it had to be on the left side. Because the AC condenser is mounted on the right side. But looking at it: It would function the same in either location.

Getting the power to there might be easier than having the longer hose made, at this time. Normally there are four places in my small town who can fab hoses, but with the Covid-19 stuff going on that is a bit problematic.

To get power over there, I’d just sacrifice part of one of my extra sets of jumper cables. I buy a couple of 4 or 6-gauge jumper cables ever fall when they go on sale. It is the lowest cost way to buy good quality heavy cable.

I sacrificed a couple of them running the connections for the Winch to both wands of the truck, and as a lead from the 90-amp generator to the battery. I’ve used them in the past to hook up a 200-amp alternator on my Bronco, and too hook up wiring to both bumpers with quick connects for jumper cables.

27. Jim pecoraro

Jim pecoraro Member

Thanks jigs for uploading those photos
    I got my 3 quart tank in. But it's too long to fit on the left side next to the battery.
    So I had to go with it on the right side.
    I made a stand for the pump out a set of spring compressors. It clamps to the top of the frame rail. I cut up a set jumper cables when I did my snow plow and I ordered another set for to this application. But they won't come till may 7. Dam Amazon. Hopefully I can test this out in the next few days

Attached Files:

28. Limestone

Hey, nice looking unit! Good job!

29. Jigs-n-fixtures

Not to steal the the thread, but this is related: Limestone is the truck in you Avatar your’s? I ask because it has the factory outrigger clipped to the top of the fender.

30. Limestone

Jig's,
    No, it's not. It's a temporary pic., until I roll mine out, and take an updated pic of it!I was just getting tired of not having a pic. up there, and it was a decent pick of a tipper! Very observant on your part!
    Limestone