1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet S83p 4x4 Problem!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by OutdoorsNS, Jul 29, 2012.

1. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Had my hijet for 2 weeks now, my 4x4 button is acting weird.
    When I press it to engage 4x4 the light on the dash is just blinking once then turning off, anyone see this before?? What could be the problem? Solution??
    -Thanks

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Being a S83P its a older truck. I would check for cracks in the vacuum lines from intake manifold to front differential. The lines get brittle over time and crack and it wont pull a good vacuum. More often than not the s83p's are pretty reliable all around.
    My bet its a vacuum leak somewhere. The good side on the s83 is that you can see the front wheel actuator work by lifting up the passenger seat and looking at it. When the 4x4 button is push or when you shift into lo range vacuum gets pulled and you can see the actuator arm engage the front diff.
    It could be a lose electrical connection somewhere but I doubt it.

3. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Thanks I'm gonna check that out tonight an ill post how I make out!

4. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

I have the seats off and looking in, i have a jumbo i dont know if its any different but im finding it hard to check the lines, im not done, but i dont really think there is any cracks, but when i am pulling up on lever to engage 4w low i dont think anythng is happening, when i press the 4wd button the little piston that moves to engage 4wd is sometimes clicking and not comming out, or coming out all the way and engaging it, its only doing it when it wants. This is the thing right? photo 3.JPG Im not the best mechanic in the world, but im not the worst, this is new to me, but it is making sence, would the clicking be a problem? when i press the button and when i unpress it, i can hear the air moving a bit.

5. TRAX and HORNS

At least you can start to understand how it works. You are on the right track. Its not fun but you may have to remove both vacuum lines and inspect every inch. Follow them all the way to where they connect to a little looking filter. From there they will go to the intake manifold. With these lines being 15+ yrs old its almost a given that there is a crack somewhere. Most of the time I have found the cracks on the outside of a line when it makes a 90 degree turn.
    Being that its trying to work is a good sign. Yes, It will make a click sound.
    Keep looking.

6. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Well I at least checked the lines from the thing that the piston comes out of and could find no cracks as far as the other hoses I had a hard time getting to them, so I took the ends off by the piston thing that engages it( please tell me what's its called I sound like a dummy lol) and hit the switch and the suction felt pretty decent on both! So I was putting 4wd off and on forever looking at it, and the more I did it the better it got, it went from nothing to works almost everytime, so I wonder if it was just seizing up on me? I think I will give this a try, if it acts up again I will have to bite the bullet and check every line I guess.

7. TRAX and HORNS

See if you can squirt some wd40 or the likes into the rubber boot for the ""actuator"" = piston thing.

8. OutdoorsNS

OutdoorsNS Member

Good Idea i will do tomorrow, i dont know why, but my 4wd was not working at all when i made this post, but once i checked those lines it slowly started working and the more i pressed the button the more it freed up, its working excellent now, i really appriciate your help! it could be possible that when i took the lines off and put them back on it sealed them better or somthing! Some of you guys on here really know what ur talking about!!
    meanwhile while working on my 4wd, i notice my rubbers on BOTH my ball joints are cracked....... like split in the center the whole way around so if i drive through water my ball joints are getting wet forsure.. oh god what to do. Ill have to do some research to see if u can fix them or just wait till they go and replace them ...

*Man of Constant Sorrow*

9. TRAX and HORNS

Glade its working. Rubber on the ball joints?
    Call Jeremy at www.minibrutes.com and see if he has some, if not he should know someone in CA. that has them.

10. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: