1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet - Made/mounted a brush guard

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by JMM, Feb 23, 2020.

1. JMM

JMM Member

I use my HiJet a lot in our woods, meaning I'm generally bouncing off of things. And as we know there's not a lot of substance out in front. I saw a few brush guards for sale online, but it's winter and I'm bored. My buddy gave me an old Jeep brush guard, which I modded by cutting the lower "ears" and turning them 180 degrees so they were pointing inward. Welded up brackets using some 3/8 bar stock. These are bolted to the subframe, using the same point where the front of the control arm assembly mounts. 1/4" plate that the guard is bolted to also has room for a future hitch receiver, if it all proves to be strong enough.

Lots of trial and error fitting, but not to bad of a job.

By the way, I know my welding ain't pretty--don't remind me.

20200223_164749.jpg 20200223_164814.jpg

Limestone and NCZ1 like this.
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

JMM,
    Nice job, looks good. I was wondering why you didn't go across the front more, protecting the corners, like you see on a lot of brush guards? I'm not certainly not knocking you work. Just curious?
    Limestone

3. Hotrod

Hotrod New Member

I used a bumper made for an older model Jeep and mounted it to the front of mine. Not done with it yet. Gotta clean it up a little.

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  4. JMM

JMM Member

Much more substantial than mine!! BTW, how/where did you mount this to the body and or frame?

5. JMM

JMM Member

Good question. Nothing more than lack of imagination :) I'll probably add to this.

6. Hotrod

Hotrod New Member

So the bottom mounts I did with flat steel and used existing bolt holes on the tow loops. This is temporary until I weld up something to attach the way you did yours. The top of the bumper I mounted a piece of angle iron to the front and used some large bolts and washers that came with the bumper. The bolt head pics are inside the cab. As is it is pretty strong. I weigh 250lbs and can jump up and down on it with no flex. I got the idea from a guy on youtube. Motocheez I think is the name. I've done several mods including new heavier springs and air shocks on the rear.

Attached Files:

Limestone likes this.
  7. JMM

JMM Member

looks good!

Hotrod likes this.
  8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I have a S110, with the scissors/dump. I wanted to be able to mount outriggers at the bumper ends so I can level it up, when I use the scissors lift.

So, my bumpers are square tube, spaced far enough apart that I could insert receivers between the tubes.

The rear has round tubes inserted into factory cross tube in the frame, with a few bolts added into some nutserts in the frame to keep it from rotating.

The front utilizes the tow hook bolts, and has a 2-inch square tube that goes back to the mount for the steering pivot, and ties in with two M12 bolts and nutserts ion the frame. 8E9A972F-ED0A-45A1-BC34-6D55D3605E25.jpeg C51B224B-C1F1-4EC2-8BC1-6C7800028634.jpeg

Limestone likes this.
  9. JMM

JMM Member

When I was concocting my setup, I was wondering about the outboard hitch receivers built into your bumpers. With the lift, this makes perfect sense--genius! (Mine's a dump body, and all I want for Christmas is a scissor lift)

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I bought four of the longest extension tongue jacks I could find, and have them set up as the outriggers. Added benefit: They extend far enough to lift all four wheels off the ground. So, I can pull it in the shop, and use the outriggers when I change the tires from snow to regular and back again.

And I have a receiver mounted 4500-lb winch, and ran power to both bumpers. So, I can put the winch wherever I need it to yard game up the mountain.

11. JMM

JMM Member

A winch is on my short list. I mounted one to my small Kubota (tractor) and I use it often to skid logs out of the deeper woods where the tractor can't fit. Super useful.

12. Limestone

Good work, and pics guys! Good info here!
    Limestone

13. Limestone

Once I can get mine back up and running after the rebuild. I plan on doing a front bumper, plow, winch set up also. I did finish the rear bumper, with a 2 inch receiver. It gives more options, having a 2 inch receiver, in front and back, with optimal options.
    Limestone