1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet front end clunking noice

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ROBERCRAIG, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Recently I replaced the stock coil springs with new 250# ones on my 95 Hijet and what a difference that made to the bottoming out issue. Before the replacement there was also a clunking noise in the front, worse when on uneven terrain. Thought the spring replacement would cure the issue but itn didn't. I've checked the CV joints and they are not the issue. One of the struts has no oil in it. Will an oiless strut "clunk" to anyone's knowledge?
    Thanks much for any response.

2. Scooter

Scooter Member

hmmmm, I have the same problem with my Hijet. Its not as bad now that its cold out. I often wondered if it could be struts. I'll be watching this post too. :pop:

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

struts will for sure clunk with no oil in them...

4. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thanks for the response. It's irritating but for the price of a strut I can tolerate it.

5. copeina

copeina Member

x2

and with the 250# springs, the bounce is minimal anyway, so handling is not sacrificed.

6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I have the same problem - put new 250# springs and it helped a little, but I am looking for struts, or strut inserts.

If anybody knows where to get them please let me know - I'd rather spend a few bucks for the better ride and also not beat the truck into an early grave

Bob Jonah

7. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

rockauto.com has struts for certain years/models of Daihatsu. Maybe same strut for many models and years?

8. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Thanks "Robercraig" - I did a search on Rockauto and it came back with 0 results.
    The KYB numbers that I have found are #633117 and #633118, but nobody seems to recognise them. Even KYB in USA and Canada don't recognise these numbers. I was hoping that somebody knew of a source for an alternative to KYB.

Bob Jonah

9. fupabox

when you search parts on rock auto the main page has little flags at the top left..check them all and the hijet parts will turn up in the search

10. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

I had a Datsun 240 z in the 70s and the struts had a screw on top to add oil, you might try drilling a small hole at the top and squirt oil in and plug hole. What do you have to lose?

11. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Small World - I too had a 1972 240Z. I raced it in the Atlantic region till 1980 ( started a family ) used to do 1:17.6 at Atlantic motorsport Park in Nova Scotia - still a quick time at todays standards.
    I understand what you mean, and may well try that if I cannot find a proper solution.

Thanks
    Bob Jonah

12. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Bit of an update - Rockauto now has KYB struts in stock again - part # 633117 and 633118 @ $73.58 each - great price - I just ordered a pair - will let you know how they work in about a month.

Bob Jonah

13. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thanks. I am anxiuos to hear. I need to replace mine as well.

14. fupabox

I did an experiment with the worn front shocks from my old Mits. u42t ..I replaced them with new ones so the old ones were junk so why not try drilling them out and refilling them...I extended the shock completely and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the very bottom....filled the shock with motorcycle fork oil (can't remember the weight) and sealed the bottom with 5 minute epoxy just to see if it would work...they weren't 100% like new ,but were significantly stiffer than what i started with...if the seals were gone this wouldn't really help,but a tired shock with ok seals may be able to be brought back to life for a time fairly easily...this was just a test so I used epoxy,but welding a nut to the hole and tapping in a short nut as a plug would be more permanent and refillable solution.

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice tip, Fupa. Probably worthy of its very own thread!

16. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Hi Fupa - I would be concearned about drilling the bottom as this is the main pressure vessel - better to drill the top as Old Old Man suggested. It is difficult to know how much oil to use as well. Also, if the shock is clunking, the valve body is most likely FUBAR. For the price , the new shocks from RockAuto looks good to me. They should arrive tomorrow, and I may have time to install them next week

Bob Jonah

17. nsmilligan

nsmilligan Guest

I replaced the struts on my Hijet with the KYB units from Rock Auto, identical to the stock unit, also did the 250# springs, removed the front lift kit spacers and the truck has the same ride height.

Bill

18. fupabox

Definitely for the price the new ones are the way to go....the entire outer body of a hydraulic shock is under the same pressure so top or bottom shouldn't make a difference..but the bottom generally has more clearance inside and less chance of hitting a seal....a gas shock would have a pressure reservoir on the bottom and would not be worth/dangerous to drill....The Hijet front shocks are available but some of the other trucks are looking at $300-$400 front shocks...for that price it may just be worth a try for some:)

19. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Just a heads up, I had a friend that welded on a pressurized shock many years ago and burned through the shock and it sprayed flaming oil all over him.:frustration:

20. fupabox

ouch..that sounds painful...I would hope anyone welding the shock would be doing so because it had no pressure in it to begin with

21. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

He was severely burned but I have to admit that just welding one dosent sound all that dangerous if you havent thought about it so thats why I mentioned it. I think any shock would be pressurized if you heated it up some too.

22. fupabox

yeah that's possible for sure...you would also need to be careful not to wreck a seal with too much heat...small tacks one at a time then cooling...maybe a wet rag over the other end ..

23. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

So, I installed my new KYB struts today. They work better, but the clunking was still the same - did a bit of looking around and the body mount rubbers are toast. I mean they are really bad, to the point ob being mostly gone.

24. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Does anybody have a source for body mounts, or am I off to CTC for some hockey pucks ? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Bob Jonah

25. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Princess Auto - gotta love it. I found a stiff rubber roller for a boat trailer - 2" dia x 8 3/4" long with a 1/2" hole thru the middle. It looks about right, so it should be good for about 12 body mount pucks - total cost is under 10 bucks. I'll be doing it this wkend and will let you all know how it works out.

Cheers
    Bob Jonah

26. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

good job but just remember not to let any bolts touch metal on both ends.

27. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I found a bit of time this afternoon and replaced that worn body mount - what a treat it is to have good shocks and no clunking - almost as nice as my 2500 GMC, and much more fun.

Cheers for the comments Lads
    Bob Jonah

28. fupabox

excellent.. so the rubber boat roller did the trick ?

29. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Yes, The original rubbers are formed to fit together in the middle to prevemt metal / metal contact. They were degraded so that they were loose, but otherwise OK. So I just cut a 1/4" slice from the boat roller and inserted it at the top to provide more compression on the original rubbers - problem solved for now and I have lots left over for future.

If you wanted to spend more time you could cut the pieces to match the original profile and replace everything.

30. zeroduty

zeroduty New Member

I just had the front struts replaced on my 92 Hi Jet. I got the new ones from Rockauto. They came from the UK. I could not believe that they came in only six days from the time I placed the order. Even with the 250 lb springs this thing rode like it was on wagon wheels. The ride improvement was unbelievable, no more clunking and banging.