1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet axle removal?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by darrenbrigman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. darrenbrigman

darrenbrigman Member

Hey guys, I am needing to replace the axle boot on the passenger side of my '91 hijet. I think that I'd be way ahead to remove the axle from the truck to be sure to get everything clean. I have changed quite a few axles on front wheel drive cars, and am hoping this one is the same. Is there any clip that needs to be removed to release the axle from the differential, or does it just slide out? I ran into a subaru once that had clips that had to be removed before the axle would come out, and just want to make sure that this isn't one of those monsters!
    Thanks.
    darren

2. darrenbrigman

darrenbrigman Member

Ok guys, I tore it down tonight, and the axle does just pop out. It doesn't appear that the axles can be disassembled to replace a boot though. The outboard end is splined, but there is no way to get to the back side to remove a clip or whatever holds the assembly together. Any suggestions?

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I know some older hondas I worked on you just used a slidehammer to pull the c/v joint off the main shaft .From the parts manual it appears there is a locking clip inside the joint (under the outer boot)on the splined shaft end,but hard to tell from the diagram...let us know how it works out for ya...

4. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

I've replaced an upper cv boot on my 91 Hijet. I'm trying to remember, I think there was a snap ring on both sides of the CV, once they're out everything comes apart easily. Not sure about the lower boot assembly around the spline. If your just replacing the lower boot, I'd suggest you do both boots at the same time and take them both on and off from the top end.

Good luck

5. darrenbrigman

darrenbrigman Member

Well, I actually just re-greased the joint, and put on one of those split boots for now. I won't be near any mud in the near future, and I'll figure it out before I do. The axle is splined where it goes into the joint, and it does move freely for a very small distance. I'm thinking that there must be a ring clip on the other end that is keeping it in place. (something like the ring on the end of the axle that goes into the differential.) I did put the axle in a vise, and using a 7/8" open end, laid it around the axle and tapped the wrench with a hammer, but it didn't feel like it was moving, and I figured that a split boot wasn't nearly as bad as a broken axle! I'll keep you guys posted on what I come up with when I take it apart again. I must admit, the axle was amazingly easy to remove from the truck. While doing that, I found yet another project. The oil that dripped out of the front differential had this pretty white tint to it. Looks like I'm going to have to take that apart and clean it out as well. Seems that at some point in this little guy's life, he was in some deep water!

6. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

When you decide to change it to a solid boot, the first ring which holds everything from coming out is accessed after you cut away the old boot, its located around the inside of the housing, about a 1/4" in. Once the bearings and axle/spline come out of the housing another ring is located about 3/4" in from the spline on the other end, than the bearings slide off. Now the axle is ready for a new boot.

I was looking around down there today and saw I needed to replace another factory boot, in doing so I made some notes.

7. darrenbrigman

darrenbrigman Member

If you will, snap some photos when you get into yours. I had my outer joint completely clean so that I could see everything, and I closely examined the outer housing, and never saw the clip. Is there any chance that I have aftermarket axles that are not servicable?
    Thanks for the help!
    darren

8. slimbad

slimbad Member

Front axle

Please note that the diagram I'm posting is out of a LHD MITSUBISHI manual NOT a HIJET. I just thought that most of these little trucks have similar axles. So this "might" help. If not please disregard........later, slim

[​IMG]

9. darrenbrigman

darrenbrigman Member

Slim, that looks exactly what I'm dealing with. I never saw the circlip ( part #3 in the diagram) on the outboard side of the axle, but I obviously just overlooked it. I'll tear back into it soon and figure it out. Thanks for the diagram!

10. slimbad

slimbad Member

Darren,

Glad to help. Sounds like the circlip was the culprit. To me it seems there are many similarities (basic mechanicals) between Mits/Hijets/Carrys............later, slim

11. TJH

TJH New Member

I need to remove my rear drive axle hub on both side to replace the lug studs anyone know how to get that out I have the actual brake drum off and there a bracket attached to the internal axle running through the brake “shoe” assembly

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  12. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

TJH,
    Go to your profile, and put in the info, on your unit in your Signature.
    This will Help us help you1

Limestone

13. TJH

TJH New Member

I need to replace stock lug studs with extended studs, previous owner added wheel spacers but did not extend studs and only grab 1/4 of the threads of the nut

Attached Files:

14. Limestone

TJH,
    Dorman, makes any size that you want!

I don't remember if I got mine from Summit Racing, or online, at Amazon, but their Available!

SAE, or Metric! Naturally ours on these Mini's are Metric.

Just do your math, and Order em!

Limestone

15. Limestone

TJH,
    I Looked up, the Wheel lug Bolts, in the Hi Jet Parts Catalog, and for the S81 like I have it States 10, and 12 mm, size bolts for,
    Our application, X 1.25 long!

If I remember Correctly mine were 10mm bolts, with the added spacer thickness added to the Bolts for total length!

I hope this Helps!

Limestone

16. TJH

TJH New Member

Thank you yes I already ordered and received the studs they are 10mm 1.25, most ATV places had them just had to do a little searching to find ones that weren’t price gouging lol, now just trying to figure out how to get the drum hub off to press them in the correct way and not do it by impacting them on to pull them through

17. Limestone

Pretty sure I just used my air impact hammer bit attachment on mine.
    That was a couple yrs ago, and the old memory isn't what it used to be!

Limestone