1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High ide and now wont start

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by John May Jr, Jan 24, 2020.

1. John May Jr

John May Jr New Member

I have a 90’s hijet truck and it will not start without starting fluid. When it starts with starting fluid it will hold a medium to high idle. If i give it gas it will do one of two things. Sometimes it will lug down and die. And sometimes it will wait 3ish seconds and go max rpm’s. I have no clue whats up. I cleaned the carb but junk might have gotten back in there. Any suggestions will help.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The lag is caused by low vacuum causing the constant velocity piston to have a delay in opening. Sounds to me like the choke preload is too tight, and the fast idle set too low.

These carbs are pretty confusing. I’ve spent the last few weeks figuring mine out, and finally have it pretty much figured out. Since I have a lift/pick bed, I can put the bed in dump mode, take the engine shield off and have pretty much unfettered access to the top of the engine. It would be hard to make some of the adjustments through the access panel.

I’ll be working on the truck tomorrow, and try to remember to take some carb pictures before I bolt things back together.

Then, I’ll try to write up a post to explain what screws adjust what, and how to get the carb lined out. It was a real learning process. There’s a total of five screws to adjust: a screw for the idle speed; one for the air conditioning fast idle; the choke fast idle; the choke preload; and, a mixture screw.

Mine was having a similar problem when cold, because the choke preload was too tight, and the fast idle set too low.

Little lynn and Limestone like this.
  3. John May Jr

John May Jr New Member

Thank you so much

Little lynn likes this.