1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi all from Derby UK

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jap1122334, Apr 11, 2019.

1. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Hi all I have just aquired a 1998 Sambar for my sins and it's broken, but I am going to try and let it live again, it has been sat in a field for a while.
    I think I will be asking a few questions in the forums as i know nothing about them other than I think their cute Lol

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Hope that we can offer some assistance.

3. jap1122334

jap1122334 New Member

Thank you, i managed to locate an engine today :) again from a field so lets hope it works.

4. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

best tip i can give is if its the pickup, 1000x easier to swap the engine if you remove the box. its about a dozen bolts, few wiring clips, spare tire carrier, and a couple odds and ends to remove the box but the engines easy to remove after that

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Don’t know for sure on the Subarus, but the British version of the Hijet/Porter/Bedford, the engine was almost twice as large. Which would be just awesome, because the 660cc most of us have is bit underpowered, and a 1 or 1.3 lire would be a huge improvement.

I’ve always meant to send a drawing of my Hijets bell housing mount dimensions to “Breaker” in Britain, and see if the engine from one of the European or British versions would bolt on.

And a lot of the parts from Britain work on the JDM version, and cost less. Once I knew the KYB-Japan part numbers, for my front struts, (they were stamped on my old ones), I checked eBay for the part numbers. They are used on the EU/British versions, and I can buy them form sources in Britain, for less than half of what they cost out of Japan.

Keep us informed. Pictures are always nice, and welcome aboard.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019