1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with this hose U44V 4A30

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by JTruest, Mar 21, 2023.

1. JTruest

JTruest New Member

I can’t figure out where the circled hose goes in the picture below. Any help would be appreciated.
    0E2FE4D5-9A6F-4280-900A-A47B78CDADE4.jpeg 3A66E815-1112-4921-9699-9F60B1337A7F.jpeg

2. MikeD

MikeD Member

I just bought up my 4A30 but it's still parked in storage and can probably help you. Looks like a vac line.

I did take a pic of that side of the motor but it's hard to see that hose. I THINK it's connected to a vacuum port further to the rear of the engine, next to the further back spark plug. I can't see it in your pic but I can " pop the hood" on mine today and check for you.

Is it this possibly without the outter sleeve on it.
    4a30 hose.jpg

3. MikeD

MikeD Member

I'll have a few questions to be sending your way as well =] Seems like not much talk around the 4A30?

What type of speeds / RPMS are you seeing when you get it going?

Any common problems / maintenance I should focus on other than fluids and what not.

4. JTruest

JTruest New Member

Thanks for the picture. I figured out that line...its a breather hose that goes to the back of the distributor.

Okay so full disclosure, I had mine for a few months then the timing belt broke and bent all the intake valves so the head needed to come out. I sent it out to a machine shop and had it resurfaced and just got it back on with a new head gasket just a few days ago. Since I did that though, it's been running great and probably needed a head gasket from the get go. I think the regular service interval on the timing belt, head gasket and valves are around 100,000k anyways. I would definitely consider replacing the timing belt at the very least. It's a pain to take off all the plastic bits to get room but the damage from a broken timing belt sucks a lot. I also changed out my water pump, put in a new thermostat and did both belts.

When I had it running, I only ever got my van up to about 40mph but was surprised that it required around 5000rpm to feel good when switching gears.

5. MikeD

MikeD Member

Good info, thanks for sharing.

I agree, timing belt is one of those maintenance items that sucks but might as well just do it when baselining a vehicle.

Good to know, it sounds like the 4a30 may only have about 40mph tops in her. I am right at 5000 rpms as well in top gear and it just will not go any faster lol. 1st and 2nd gear, with the power button on =] Will rev almost to redline .

What a fun little car, I need to make my peace with the slow speeds and start doing some maintenance.

6. JTruest

JTruest New Member

I think there’s a turbo variant but probably doesn’t add much for top speeds.

let me know if you need any maintenance help…I ended up getting the James Danko 4A30 engine manual, which has been super helpful

7. MikeD

MikeD Member

Yeah for sure, probably would blow something up if I boosted this =] Would send a piston right up my arseeee.

I'm going to think of it as like a golf cart with way more fun stuff built in, just take it slow and steady on the dirt roads.

This one here ??
    >>https://www.lulu.com/shop/james-dan...erback/product-6362449.html?page=1&pageSize=4

8. MikeD

MikeD Member

9. JTruest

JTruest New Member

10. MikeD

MikeD Member

Thanks for sending those, where do you order your parts from? I have been trying with GR imports.
    >> So yours is all back together an running well? When I floor it going up any grade the exhaust temp light tends to light up. Do you have the same issue or am I up against a possible problem?

1st gear revs real high and kind of hard shifts into second. Third gear is smooth but tends to lack any power above 5k rpms.

It seems like there is almost noone out there talking about the 4A30 or the Bravo, google or youtube. Especially not the Auto Trans 4wd model.... Everyone seems to have the earlier 3 cylinder /5speed engine and claim to be hitting much higher speeds! lol .

I finally take possession of this rig in the next week or two while the current owner works to replace the title. Think I am just going to dive into it and to timing belt , all fluids, plugs, wires, bla bla bla.

11. JTruest

JTruest New Member

12. MikeD

MikeD Member

I was on their website. It seems to be the same layout as < https://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/minicab_bravo/u44v/hlkxe2/quick/ > I was confused since it had a few different options for my rig but I suspect most parts are similar. We'll see what GR Imports can find me if not I will shop around.

I saw reference to the EGT ( exhaust gas temp ) light coming on due to O2 sensor ground / rusty threads, but that seemed to be referring to the 3cyl engine in previous models. Worth check on yours though.

Do you have the van or dump body?

By the way, I found out if you take a picture of some of the Japanese text, google lens can translate it. I tested it on the engine placard
    Screenshot_20230330-142228.png

13. JTruest

JTruest New Member

I used google lens to figure out those big bus fuses on the passenger side engine compartment.

I have the van body, 94 Super Exceed.
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/054cynLdZfJHqSZWq4jET_xHg

I was thinking it’s some kind of O2 or emissions sensor that’s causing the light to trip. I’m going to drive it for a bit and see if it clears it out. Better than a check engine light haha.

14. MikeD

MikeD Member

That's awesome, looks really clean.

I agree it seems to be a sensor thing and not an actual concern, especially if temp gauge is staying cool. Maybe just a piece of electrical tape covering the light will solve this problem.

Does it take your temp gauge a while to get up to where it should be ? Can't wait to drive mine more ....I might be bugging you with more , "does your do this ?" style questions lol