1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. Suzuki Carry has no power. Fuel in Oil

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Bbledsoe, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Bbledsoe

Bbledsoe New Member

Hello. We have a Suzuki Carry here on the Campus at OCU. Im in charge of all the fleet maintenance here but this Suzuki has me stumped.

First off, the carry ran great over the weekend it was used. I came in on a Monday morning and the truck would not start. It would just crank. So, I pulled it into the shop and checked for vacuum leaks, bypassed the fuel filter because the fuel filter is clogged. Fuel pump is working correctly. I cleaned the choke by the carb. I checked all hoses for cracks and leaks. Pulled all 3 spark plugs and each one was fouled and had black soot on it. It got worse as you went to each cylinder. I checked the distributor and the rotor for wear or buildup. There was some so i cleaned it off the rotor bug and the cap itself. I inspected all wires and ignition coil and all are good and getting spark. The truck started after I did all this and was VERY VERY flooded but i had sprayed plenty of carb cleaner and starting fluid into the carb getting it to start. It idles really rough and is extremely hesitant on accleration.

While driving the truck I can shift into all gears perfectly. The problem is the truck does not want to go over like 3mph no matter how much gas you give it. The clutch grabs really good in all gears but it will just rev to the limiter each time not going any faster at all. So, when it did this I replaced the clutch, bearing (throw out bearing im guessing ) and the pressure plate i believe. It was not any better at all. The old one was burnt up really bad though and had no life left on it. We did put it in right and everything. So, today i found there to be Fuel in the oil. So, i suspected a headgasket leak because it runs like it has no compression ( I have not done a test yet). But, could the oil be thin because of the carb cleaner and starting fluid? It smells like fuel if you smell it on the dipstick. Or, could it be the gasket on the manifold to the head? Theres no coolant in the oil or anything so I really didnt suspect it being a Headgasket. Could it be off timing? or could it be something else im missing. If the headgasket is bad the truck would not run at all right? Anyway im completely stumped right now until i can do a compression check. The compression should sit between 150-180 on all 3 cylinders right?

Anyone have any clue what my problem might be? I need to get this truck up and going but im curious if any other have had the problem or could narrow it down for me on what to check or what to replace... Etc...

Thanks for any help, it is needed!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

When a vehicle had been flooded the unburned raw fuel will always leak down past the rings into the crankcase...I've seen cars with a liter of gas in the crankcase after repeated no spark starting attempts...I would begin with adjusting the valves (obviously clean or replace the plugs) replace the oil as it is contaminated..then do the compression test...if that is good check timing....my guess is valve adjustment is your culprit

3. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Guest

Can you tell me what OCU is?

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Calm down, calm down... what you have is a TAE (throw away engine)..first principles, my friend..

One of your boys has flooded it real good..THE WEEKEND..or worse
    Replace the fuel filter, drop the oil and filter...REPLACE...
    These little brutes will start with a little ethynole..ect; don't do it...drop it..

Do a compretion test, no gauge?, use your finger, don't start it..
    If all is well, you are lucky, start it, let it idle, outside, for an hour or so..

Take it out and try again...DON'T RUN IT WITH FUEL IN THE OIL...

According to your post; you are one lucky SOB...:eek:

6. kansas

kansas New Member

I'd look for a leaking carb float valve. (needle and seat)

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

needle seat sticking ?, float sticking ? choke sticking ? could be.
    valves adj., most likely not if it was running fine the other day.
    timing most likely not , again if it was running ok before.
    i concur with fuel going past rings if flooded.
    after having many suzuki's & daihatsu's in the last 4 yrs. ive found a good carb. cleaning and or rebuild kit does wonders.
    ive had trucks that ran really good but had that little stumble to them when giving it fuel, had a few that would stumble big time when given fuel, throw a rebuild kit in the carb. and they
    ABSOLUTELY COME FREAKIN ALIVE, ALIVE I SAY.

8. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member

I'm with the others on fuel gettin past the rings and contaminating the oil. If it ran good all weekend then wouldn't start Monday mornin it has to be somthin basic. Hmm, could someone have possibly poured in some crappy fuel, or worse, diesel gas?:eek: