1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP-Smoking and no power

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by fibero, Nov 27, 2008.

1. fibero

fibero New Member

I am a new member searching for help. I can do just about anything with the exception of working with electricity and automobile engines. I have a 1992 Mitsubishi minicab and I do love it. Unfortunately it is now smoking and losing power when climbing slight hills. I have replaced the oil, gas and air filters to no avail. I tried to get the plugs out but I dont think I have the right socket...is there something special to use here? I cleaned the cap and rotor too. It cranks fine but idles a little high. I am lost now...dont know where to go from here. I dont know if it is the carb, piston rings, vacuum hose, gaskets, valves, or what. Even if I new I dont think I have the skills to fix it.

IS there a place in the North GA area that I could trailer this too for repair. I am wondering if it is just a simple fix or a deeper problem. Right now I cant even get the plugs out.

Your help is very much appreciated. As you know, there are not many places to go for help and this seems to be the best source.

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. What color is the smoke? White, Blue, Black?

-Greg

3. fibero

fibero New Member

Thanks Greg. THe smoke has a blueish tent to it...not solid white. The mini also has the smell of fuel that is fairly strong.

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

Smoking and no power

Fibero,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your truck. Let's see, first of all the color of the smoke (like Greg mentioned) would give you a possible indication of what the problem is. If you have white smoke (steam) it is prob related to water getting into the chambers, meaning possible head gasket or head problems. Blue smoke (as you stated) cud poss be bad oil rings and the loss of power cud be due to bad compression rings. Black smoke usually indicates a prob with the fuel system (running rich) or bad/fouled plugs not burning the fuel effectively (another cause of loss of power and possibly the fuel smell). Bad plug wires could also be a contributing factor. Either way, the plugs need to come out. When you get them out, see if they are burning clean. While they are out do a compression check. You should show somewhere between 125-180 psi with no more than @10% difference between the cyl's. You may just luck out and need to replace the plugs. You might need to get a thin-wall socket (5/8") to get the plugs out. I believe you can use NGK BKR6E-11 or Autolite 3923S (acc to posts in the ref section of the forum). Hope this helps, later......slim

5. Dan

Dan Member

Definately sounds like fouled plugs. smoke, loss of power and smell of fuel...

I found the wrong plugs in some of mine on more than one occasion. I had helpers in the shop that would put in anything that would fit the thread when we started changing brands and they wouldnt look in the book for the right cross reference #'s. Try a few different sockets to see if they might have been mixed up. also look in the plug wire end to see if the terminal came off of the wire and is still stuck on the spark plug. Old wires pull apart easily.

6. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

To get you plug out you need a Hemi style socket, Check with other owners near you they probably have one in the tool kit that came in their truck.
    i sugest you keep with the NGK and not try to crossover to other brands. I have found the Japanese engines run better with the original spec plugs.

While a plug might be fouled and causing your problem it well can be due to low compression in one cylinder. A customer of mine found this one the hard way. His truck ran great until the low compression caused a plug to foul and then loss of power.

Mitsubishi's are noted for being a bit smoky "so I am told".

So get the plugs out, inspect and do a compression test. I feel also that the cleaning of the cap and rotor might not be suficient. Consider getting new cap, rotor and wires.

Good luck,