1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! No Heat!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by ltclarry, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

1996 suzuki carry; I can't get any heat. Blower works, is full of antifreeze, and engine is running at normal temperature. The engine overheat light is lit on dash! HELP COLD HERE IN ILLINOIS!!!

2. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Curious....how do you know the engine is at normal temperature? Has the light been on since you haven't had heat ?
    Have you taken out and checked the thermostat ?

3. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Just bought the truck, Seller said light would go off as soon as engine warms up. Temperature gage shows normal temperature, have not pulled thermostat.
    That will be my next move half to work outside.

4. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Let us know what you find, and if we can help, I'll ask our yard mechanics.

5. akswinehart

akswinehart New Member

The only trucks I have had that the blower worked and the head didn't, it was a problem with the antifreeze (not flowing thourgh the radiator and heater core, and thus over heating at the engine, I would not run this truck anymore until you find out what is wrong

good luck

6. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Normally I would say that this is one of two problems (both of which I've had on my Toyota), either the heat lever is not actually moving the valve to divert coolant to the heater core or the thermostat is stuck open not allowing the engine temp to get up to normal. What puzzles me is the engine overheat light being on and engine temps normal. Hmmmm....

7. Big Country

Big Country New Member

I have two rocommendations.

1. Try moving the selector switch to the floor or defrost. I have seen a few trucks that would not blow warm air in the normal vent position.

2. Are you sure it is the engine temp light and not the catalytic converter light? The first truck I dealt with, I thought the same thing. A simple ground wire to the sensor (on the exhaust) fixed the problem.

8. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

There is no engine overheat light on the dash. That light is for the exhaust system and proper heating of the catalyst. If your gauge shows normal engine temp then you have a restriction in the heater core, as acerguy motioned, the cable that opens the valve and lets coolant flow thru the heater core is broken or damaged. If the thermostat was stuck open, and they engine was not up to normal temp...then your gauge would show it.

9. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Thanks for all your help ... we now have HEAT!

10. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Ok the suspense is killing us, what was the problem?

11. ltclarry

ltclarry New Member

Abc You Were Right It Was The Cable That Opens Valve

12. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Wow, I actually was able to help someone on the board. It's a miracle. :D
    Glad you got it working.